The Do’s and Don’ts: A Collegiette’s Guide to Co-Op

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

“Co-op or classes?” is one of the most overused questions on Northeastern’s campus.  It has practically become a pick-up line of its own, considering the way it is thrown around at parties and Northeastern bars. To most students at other universities, the question is: “what is co-op?”

Well, as those of us at NU know, co-op is short for “cooperative education” which gives students the opportunity to incorporate semesters of full-time employment along with regular academic semesters. Students from any major at NU can take advantage of the co-op program to gain professional experience before even graduating college. The co-op program sets students ahead of their peers whom they will be competing against for jobs after graduation.

Of course the advantages of the co-op program are contingent upon whether or not you perform well and receive a positive review from your employer, but co-op is beneficial for more than just the experience. Once you graduate and begin applying for jobs, it is important to have previous job experience on your resume. It is also important to be able to use your former employers as references to support your good job performance. If you gave a poor work performance during your co-op, you’re not going to want to leave your former employer’s number for your future employer to dial up. You want people in your corner supporting your professional success.

So, how do you get the most out of your co-op experience and ensure that you receive a good performance review? It can be difficult to recognize all the important little things that you should make sure to do while on co-op and, of course, it’s easy to overlook the little things that you should avoid doing while on co-op. So I’ve put together a list of co-op do’s and don’ts to make sure you put your best foot forward this time around.

DO: Have Goals
What do you want to get out of the six-month period of co-op? After a few weeks at the position, begin brainstorming goals for yourself so that you aim to benefit the most from your experience. “This can serve as a blueprint for both the student and the employer to outline the appropriate workload,” says co-op advisor Charlotte Lam. Whether or not these goals are an absolute requirement of your time there, setting these goals for yourself will ensure that you gain experience in all of the important areas of an entry level position. “Have different goals for yourself including a knowledge goal where you learn about project management in the IT field; a skills goal where you gain hands on practice with MS projects; a networking goal to eat lunch with new members of the company every week; and an overall career goal to develop a plan for the next steps after your co-op,” says co-op advisor Ellen Stoddard.

DO: Get to know your coworkers

In addition to becoming more familiar with the industry you are working in, mingle with your fellow employees as much as possible. “Co-op is the best way to test-drive your future career. The more you talk to people in the field, the more you will know whether or not it is for you,” says Christine Hathaway, the senior director of marketing and communications for Northeastern’s Stearns Center. Another good reason to get to know your fellow employees is to gain organization customs and good working habits. Most, if not all, of them have worked at the company longer than you and are more adjusted to the nature of the company. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may have about the company’s workflow or specific questions about what is or is not deemed appropriate.  In terms of social atmosphere, it is always good to put on a friendly face toward those who you will be around 40 hours a week for six whole months. “Don’t isolate yourself. Get to know your co-workers and become part of the team!” says co-op advisor Mark Erickson.

DO: Take initiative
One of the most important things to do while on co-op is to make a good impression.  To get that stellar review, you need the work ethic to deserve one! “Take initiative and ask for more work if you have down time. Go above and beyond the minimum requirements of the job,” Hathaway says. Offer to take on additional work or to help out people in other departments even if you are not particularly designated to work for those employees. Taking on tasks that are not part of your main workload will only make you look like a hard worker who is passionate about the job itself–just be careful not to take on too much. Stoddard also recommends involving yourself in any professional development activities offered by your company. “Attend any workshops or speaker events that are offered at your work to gain as much as possible from your experience,” says Stoddard. Don’t be afraid to try new things and experiment a little while on co-op; that’s what the time is for!

DO: Be Professional in all areas
Take your job seriously no matter what it is that you’re doing. “Make sure you know how to write appropriate emails. Always use a relevant subject line; start with a salutation (Dear or Hello, rather than ‘hey’) and end by signing your name,” says Stoddard. Also make sure to use appropriate spelling, punctuation and grammar because even the little things are important when it comes to maintaining professionalism.  Even toward the end of your co-op make sure to stay on top of how you act toward your employer. “Handwritten thank you notes at the end of your co-op are a great last impression; emails are fine, but a handwritten note is much more memorable,” says Hathaway. When your co-op is through make sure to get a LinkedIn profile to start connecting with people from previous jobs. It’s a great networking tool after your co-op and you never know when a connection could help you out in the future.

DO: Ask for a letter of recommendation

Even if you are not convinced that your co-op job is somewhere you would want to work in the future, still ask your boss to write you a letter of recommendation. “Make sure to ask before you leave your co-op so you don’t have to track the person down later. And only ask if you honestly feel that you’ve done an exceptional job. Feel free to ask other colleagues too,” says Hathaway. Business cards are another great thing to ask for as you near the end of your co-op. Your co-op employers know your work ethic and will most likely help you out in the future if the opportunity presents itself.

DON’T: Avoid Blame—if you’ve done something wrong, admit it
“If you do something wrong, don’t try to shift the responsibility off of you. Employers know that co-op students make mistakes and, for the most part, they will understand,” says Lam. Employers quickly pick up on co-op students who are constantly looking for a scapegoat for their mistakes. Instead of placing blame, accept what you’ve done wrong and remember that it is all one big learning process. If you need more direction or instructions on a project, it is always better to ask for help instead of handing in a project that is far from what the employer is looking for. “Never assume you know everything; always ask your boss or other staff embers insightful questions that can help you,” says Hathaway.

DON’T: Abuse company policy
Even if you think your boss is lenient on what time you show up to work in the morning, never abuse company policy. In addition to coming in on time, be sure not to take too long of a lunch break or to make personal phone calls during work hours. Even if your boss doesn’t tell you directly that it is inappropriate, there is a good chance that he or she notices what you are doing. Also, when it comes to the computers, make sure you are using the company’s equipment for appropriate, job-related tasks. “Understand the companies IT policy. Know whether or not it is okay to check email or shop during your lunchtime or breaks,” says Erickson.

DON’T: Show up for work on no sleep
Your co-op review will be based on your job performance, so if you are staying up until all hours of the night, chances are you won’t be working to your potential. “Don’t stay up late and go to work dragging your feet. Get your sleep by going to bed to get up early enough,” says Erickson. In situations where you are running late to work always notify your boss well ahead of time. While you should always make a valiant effort to not be late to work, notifying your boss shows a higher level of commitment than if you said nothing at all.

DON’T: Burn bridges
As we mentioned above, connections are so important! If you ruin any of the relationships you’ve made during your time on co-op, they will serve you no purpose in the future. “Make sure you give 100 percent in all situations, even if the work is boring or you have a challenging colleague. You only have a short period of time to develop your reputation,” says Stoddard. Even if you have a disagreement with a coworker, always leave on a good note with your peers. “You never know when you will need their help again or need a job referral in the future,” says Hathaway. Stay positive and confident about your coworkers and connections. “Maintain your contacts with anyone you met so that you can stay in touch when positions become available,” says Stoddard.

DON’T: Forget you’re at WORK
Even if you have the most comfortable work environment and are buddies with all of your employers, don’t lose sight of the fact that this is your job. Avoid any behaviors that exude unprofessional behavior, such as chewing gum or texting during work hours. “Don’t leave your phone ringer on—always turn it to vibrate and do NOT use it when you are in meetings unless it is work related,” says Hathaway. When talking to coworkers, even ones that are close to your own age, avoid telling inappropriate jobs or using foul language. Regardless of whether or not you are joking it is still unprofessional.

DON’T: Ignore the dress code
Dress appropriately according to the company culture and work environment. Some companies are more formal and strict than others so take notice to what other coworkers wear to get an idea of what is acceptable. “Appropriate dress depends on the industry, but always err on the side of being more dressed or overdressed. You always want to appear clean cut and give a good impression,” says Hathaway.

Use these tips and bits of advice as a guide to help you put your best foot forward at your next co-op.  While you’re gaining valuable experiences and learning the ins and outs of your chosen industry, why not walk away with a positive review from your employer? Even if you still have years of school to finish up before you’re out there applying for a job in the real world, once the time comes around you’ll be glad you did well at your internship and your reference letter will certainly come in handy.

** Thank you to the wonderful Northeastern co-op advisers who offered me their tips and suggestions for the do’s and don’t’s of co-op!

Photos – sophisticatededge.com, consumerdeals.com, wwu.edu

Jenn Sinrich is a fourth year journalism major and theater minor at Northeastern University. Coming from a small town along the beaches of the north shore, Jenn has always admired the fast-paced and motivational life of the city. She loves living in Boston and especially likes running by the Charles River. At Northeastern she is a founding sister of the Eta Kappa chapter of Kappa Delta Sorority. She enjoys acting and theater, musicals and listening to show tunes, scrap booking and collaging, and anything else that encourages and inspires creativity.