This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Whether you’re returning to dorms or moving off-campus next semester, there’s no excuse to not decorate your room. Despite the rock hard beds, cramped quarters, and erratic room temperatures, your room has plenty of potential. Your dorm will become your home away from home, and you can decorate it however you want! Looking at the blank walls and dirty floors, it may seem like a daunting task at first, but we have compiled tips for turning an empty room into your personal oasis.

1. Eliminate blank space:

The first thing you’re going to notice when you enter your dorm is the overwhelming amount of white. We know, it’s depressing. But it’s not a difficult task to brighten the walls up. My favorite way to do this is by hanging tapestries. Not only do they provide a burst of color, but also the fabric creates a cozy feel. The size of them make tapestries the quickest way to get rid of white.

College is also your chance to put up the movie and band posters that your mom didn’t let you hang out of fear of ruining the wall paint. You’re in college now: you can put up whatever you want! This is the freedom that comes with going to college.

One piece of advice of managing wallspace: don’t clutter. You want to be able to appreciate everything you put up and keep it looking cohesive.

2. Coordinate, don’t match:

This is the first mistake most collegiates make. If you match patterns and colors exactly your room will start to look like an LL Bean catalogue (we are trying to avoid cookie-cutter!). A simple tip: have your decorations share a few common colors and a few patterns. I find that the best dorms don’t try too hard at coordinating.

3. Get a rug:

If you live in a building without carpet (International Village residents!), the floors are going to get really dirty, really fast. A rug will make your room feel more homey and cover the cold ground, where dust often accumulates.

4. Personalize: 

We’ve already alluded to this, but lets take it a step further! Print out your favorite pictures and hang them to make your room feel like home! Also, instead of arbitrarily throwing pictures on the walls, a unique way to display your memories is by creating collages. You can try hanging the pictures in patterns. Use a few small bulletin boards zigzagged on a wall, or find some great picture frames. My favorite way to display pictures is by using string and wooden clips. Drape the string across your wall and hang the photos along the string using clips.

5. Find a cozy and cute comforter:

If you’re like me, and never actually use your desk, your bed is where you will spend 90% of your time. Not only do you want it to be comfy, but it also needs to look great. Finding the perfect comforter is key to creating great room decor. Bed Bath and Beyond stocks cute and simple comforters, but if you’re looking for something more unique try Urban Outfitters or Anthropologie (both located on Newbury Street).

Stephanie Cohn

Northeastern

Stephanie is a Sophomore Journalism major at Northeastern University and has been with her campus for about a year now. She spent her first semester abroad in Costa Rica where she discovered her passion for writing through weekly blog assignments. Stephanie is now in the process of pursuing a minor in Latin American studies and hopes that someday to cover the region. Currently she is the Hub Health intern for Boston Magazine and the promotions chair for Hercampus Northeastern. Outside of HerCampus she enjoys healthy baking, yoga, creative writing, and spending time with her Sigma Kappa sorority sisters. 
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!