Don’t Let Midterms Ruin Your Diet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

So you started out the semester with strict plans to go to the gym three to four times per week and to eat a healthy diet. Then, a month or two into the semester, schoolwork piles up and those midterm exams creep their way into your calendar. Now, instead of hitting the gym every other day, you’re spending more time in the library than you are sleeping in your bed! Though eating a balanced diet may not seem like an important priority when you have two papers and an exam to prepare for, it is actually an integral part of producing good work. The more nutritional the food that you put in your body, the more fuel you’re feeding your brain to work at its full capacity. This midterms period, don’t let exams get the best of you and ruin your plans for staying fit and eating healthy. Here are some quick and simple ways to avoid letting stress to get the best of you.

Eat Regularly
While planning out five to six small meals while you’re cramming in the library all day may not be the first thing on your mind, it’s extremely important. Eating small, frequent meals during your hours of studying keeps your blood sugar levels stable and allows you to retain more information. Choose snacks and meals that are rich in protein to give you the energy you need to get through all of your studying. Some great suggestions include nuts, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, oatmeal or an English muffin with peanut butter.

Hydrate
Do not forget one of the most important ways to keep your energy levels up: water! Bring your reusable water bottle to the library or study location of choice and continue to fill it up as you study. If you don’t have your own, buy a plastic water bottle. It’s very important to drink at least one cup to a liter of water every two hours. Staying hydrated will help you fight fatigue and will keep your metabolism running properly.

Avoid Sugary Foods
In the midst of your studying it can be easy to opt for sugary foods that offer that immediate taste and satisfaction you are craving—don’t! The rapid spike in sugar triggers your body’s natural response to high blood sugar. The sugar content is quickly forced down by the increased levels of insulin in your body and inevitably causes lower energy levels, headaches and increased hunger later.

Limit Caffeine Intake
Coffee might seem like the perfect thing to keep you awake and alert while you’re cramming information into your brain, but the reality is that too much of it can cause distraction. The caffeine might also prevent you from getting to sleep at an appropriate time, leaving you sluggish and exhausted when test time rolls around.

Don’t Skip Out on the Gym
While it working out may seem far from important when you have pressing work to do for class, it can actually help you. Getting a short workout in will only take less than 45 minutes of your time and will give you more energy to use on studying. Exercising gets your heart rate up and your blood flowing, which release endorphins into your brain. These endorphins enhance your mood and make you feel better overall. If you’re going to be stuck in the library for several hours, might as well be in a good mood!

So next time you reach for that bag or chips or M&Ms to distract yourself from the mountain of work on your desk, think again! Remember to follow these important steps to ensuring a healthier, happier you.

Jenn Sinrich is a fourth year journalism major and theater minor at Northeastern University. Coming from a small town along the beaches of the north shore, Jenn has always admired the fast-paced and motivational life of the city. She loves living in Boston and especially likes running by the Charles River. At Northeastern she is a founding sister of the Eta Kappa chapter of Kappa Delta Sorority. She enjoys acting and theater, musicals and listening to show tunes, scrap booking and collaging, and anything else that encourages and inspires creativity.