This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

The winter season has greeted us with piles of snow and windy weather. Although bundling up with layer after layer to stay warm proves to be effective, it also makes it easy to forget how the harsh cold can take a toll on our skin.

Our skin is the largest organ on our body and is sensitive to things such as touch and temperature. From facing harsh winds to adjusting from the hot temperature of our shower water to the freezing air outside, our skin is stripped of its moisture more than usual in the wintertime.

Aside from making it a ritual to moisturize on the daily and use hydrating products, here are some DIY skincare treatments you can make to pamper your skin and give it back the nourishment that it needs to survive the winter weather.

1. Avocado Face Mask for Dry Skin

Try an avocado face mask for when your skin is feeling extra dry. Avocado is loaded with fatty acids that can help to moisturize the skin. Combine half an avocado with 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt, ½ tablespoon of olive oil and ½ tablespoon of honey. Apply to your face and leave for 10-15 minutes before washing off. Pro tip: save the other half of the avocado for some guacamole or avocado toast!

2. Yogurt Face Mask for Sensitive Skin

This yogurt face mask is also moisturizing but more suitable for sensitive skin. Yogurt contains lactic acid that helps to smooth out rough, dry skin while nourishing it. For this mask, mix together 1 tablespoon of yogurt with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of turmeric. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and can help reduce any redness or inflammation. Apply this mask to your face and leave for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off.

3. Coffee Sugar Scrub

It is important to exfoliate your body to remove the dead skin cells, especially in the winter when your skin is lacking moisture. Coffee grinds prove to be a great natural exfoliant and a simple body scrub can be made from just coffee grinds, brown sugar and coconut oil. Find the full recipe here.

4. Green Tea Sugar Scrub

Green tea is full of antioxidants and can act as a natural exfoliator. Sugar also acts as an exfoliator, while olive oil and honey nourish the skin. To get the most out of any body scrub, be sure to follow up with lotion after to lock the moisture into the skin. Find the full recipe for this green tea sugar scrub here.

5. Honey and Sugar Lip Scrub

Last but not least don’t forget about taking care of your lips! To create a simple lip scrub combine 1 part honey to 2 parts of sugar and rub the mixture on your lips to exfoliate them. Wash away any remaining scrub and follow up with some nourishing lip balm for soft, smooth and hydrated lips.

Emily Pillay

Northeastern '22

Emily is a first year at Northeastern University studying computer science and cognitive psychology. Hobbies of hers include sipping earl grey tea, going on long walks, and experimenting with makeup.