This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and as finals week draws to a close, it’s time to get into the holiday spirit!

So without further ado, here are some fun DIY projects to decorate for the holidays, or just to help prepare for the winter months ahead. Because if we’re going to hibernate, we might as well make our places cute and cozy, right?

Ribbon Christmas tree

As an ornament or wall decor, these little guys are so simple, inexpensive, and really cute.

Mason Jar Winter Scenes

Mason Jar snow globes and winter scenes (same thing minus the water) are super easy, pretty inexpensive, and a fun thing to make with your friends and family. You can find mini trees, tiny present boxes, plastic snowflakes, fake snow (snow in a can is messy but creates a really cool effect if you create a white snowy backdrop), and anything else you can think of! Line the seal with fabric, screw on the lid, tie a bow with a ribbon, and voila!

Throw Pillows

Christmas throw pillows can be hard to resist, and who doesn’t love a sparkly snowflake pillow? But they can get pricey and especially for christmas pillows, you can only use them for a limited amount of time. So why not try making your own? You can buy plain ones at craft stores super cheap (or if you’re really ambitious you could make your own). Decorate them with felt cut-outs, fabric paint, maybe some pom poms, festive ribbon…the possibilities are endless.

Flag Banners

You can make these as simple or as intricate as you want.

***Tip: Pinterest has free printable patterns and letters for banners!

You can string together cute sayings or patterns to brighten your spirits and put you in the holiday mood, and to make you smile. Pair with fairy lights and you have the start to a magical set-up.

These are just a few ideas to inspire you, and there are so many more.

Happy decorating, Happy Holidays, and Happy Winter Break!

Hannah Pamer

Northeastern

Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!