This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

COVID-19 seems to be the elephant in the room these days. In a world where wearing masks is the new norm, the college experience doesn’t look the same as it did a few months ago. But what happens if you contract COVID-19 on-campus and have to quarantine? How do you keep yourself busy? Below are my top five tips that can make your ten days of quarantine a little more enjoyable.

Get a Hobby

This is simple yet life-changing. Of course, classes will be taking up a lot of your time, but if you can find ways to keep yourself preoccupied when your Zoom classes end, think ahead of what you could do to keep yourself from going insane. Bring a few magazines with you and make collages. Learn yoga from a few Youtube videos, or even try to teach yourself origami. Put on a few Just Dance Youtube videos and see which ones are your favorite! It’s important to keep yourself motivated and inspired while you are stuck in a room all day.

Exercise

I can’t stress this enough. Even if you’ve never exercised before or don’t put it in your regular day-to-day schedule, you will appreciate a quick sweat sesh in your room. Pamela Reif and Chloe Ting are two amazing YouTubers that provide upper body, lower body, and ab workouts where you won’t need any equipment!

Bring Comfort Items

After a few days in one room, it will start to get tiring looking at the same objects. Make yourself feel comfortable by bringing your favorite throw pillows, empty notebooks, or even your favorite stash of candy. It will brighten those days that seem dull and boring!

FaceTime Friends/Family

It’s no question that quarantining without any outside contact is hard, especially for extroverts who enjoy being around their friends. My fourth tip is to take the time to FaceTime someone you know at least every few days. Ask your friends to do a “FaceTime dinner” with you and enjoy a meal together over the internet. It will make you feel a little less alone while you wait for release day to come.

Unplug from Social Media

Scrolling through Instagram and watching Snapchat stories of your friends will eat away at you, and you will feel left out from the world. Take a breath and live in the moment of the situation you are in now. Log off from your Instagram feed and listen to some music, write in a journal, or watch one of your favorite shows. You will be out of quarantine in no time, so do yourself a favor and try to take advantage of the extra alone time you have now.

I hope these tips helped you! There’s always room to make a negative situation positive in your own way if you put your mind to it. Most importantly, be patient with yourself and give yourself time to adjust! You will be out and back into the world sooner than you realize.

Elizaveta Fehr

Northeastern '24

Elizaveta Fehr has been an avid writer since she was eight years old. Elizaveta published her first novel in the fifth grade, Heart Over the Horizon, and released her second novel, Worthy of Rain, in September of 2020. She plans to publish a poetry book in the next few years and also writes personal blog articles in her spare time. She is a travel fanatic and has visited eleven countries all over the world. Elizaveta also has a passion for photography and developed her Fehr Photography business over the last two years. Check her out on her Instagram socials: @elizaveta.fehr and @fehr.photography.
Sreya is a third-year combined computer science and business major. Prior to being Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief from 2020-2021, she was an editor for Northeastern's chapter. Besides being part of Her Campus, she's also in HackBeanpot and Scout. She spends most of her free time watching cringy reality shows, scrolling through Twitter, and going to concerts.