Combining Cozy and Business Casual

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Although students in classes might be entering that phase where it’s socially acceptable to stay home on account of not wanting to freeze to death, those of us who are on co-op aren’t so lucky. Chances are your place of work won’t close just because of a couple inches – or feet – of snow, which means you need to prioritize staying warm while still keeping your attire work-appropriate. As someone who considers myself fairly fashion-savvy but perpetually cold, I’ve recently become an expert in this area. Here are some of the tips that I live by.

1. Wear boots to work and slip on flats when you get there.

As another writer mentioned last week, high-heeled boots aren’t going to cut it when it comes to your morning commute. Nope, you’ll need two pairs of shoes – one to keep you warm on your way to work, and one to complete your outfit once you get inside. Stash a pair of black flats under your desk and you’ll be good to go.

1. Drink warm liquids constantly.

Whether you pack soup for lunch or stop at Starbucks for a latte, wrapping your hands around a hot mug sometime during the day is guaranteed to warm you up. If you get the chance, take advantage of the free tea and hot chocolate that’s bound to be somewhere in your office, or bring your own teabags and just track down some hot water. It can make all the difference, regardless of what you’re wearing.  

1. Layers are your friends.

Today there was a huge snowstorm, so I piled on the layers. Tank top, long-sleeved shirt, sweater, scarf, coat, two pairs of socks, tights, pants…you get the picture. Was I still cold? Yes, but I’m weird that way. Chances are if you wear 3-4 layers you’ll be perfectly toasty and still look great. And don’t underestimate the power of knee socks!

1. Stick to cozy sweaters.

You can show off your trendy blazers when it gets to be spring. For now, wear your coziest sweaters with your dressiest pants and you’ll be classy and comfortable. Fabrics like flannel, silk, wool, and fleece are best for keeping you warm in the winter.

1. Don’t go out with wet hair.

My hair looks best if I shower in the morning and let it air-dry, but I’ve sacrificed ringlets in favor of a warm commute. I suggest you do the same, unless you want to deal with the combination of hat hair and all-day chills – the former is bad enough!

1. Keep an extra layer at work.

If you have room to store a pair of shoes by your desk, chances are you’ve got a drawer big enough to stash your favorite fleece hoodie. Putting on an extra piece of clothing after lunch doesn’t take away from how cute your outfit is – it just shows you have the good sense to prepare for freezing office conditions.

Gwen Schanker

Northeastern

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: