The Co-op Interview Tips You Actually Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

…Because “smile” and “be on time” don’t cut it anymore.

Whether you’re going on co-op or searching for a legit job, odds are you’ll have to go through an interview first. Thankfully, one of the biggest perks of attending Northeastern is that you’ll probably be an interview-pro by the time you graduate. However this doesn’t make interviews any less nerve-wracking, or tips any less valuable. After conducting a rather extensive Internet search followed by a roommate questionnaire, I present to you ten tips I hope you’ll find both fresh and helpful for your next interview.      

1.    Prepare

The night before your interview, lay out your clothes (including shoes and accessories) as well as your bag with everything you’ll need inside. This way you can make sure you won’t forget anything, plus you won’t be in a rush the day of your interview.

P.S Don’t forget to bring various hard copies of your resume!

2.    Update and Clean Up

Before even applying, you should create and/or update your LinkedIn profile. Clean up your Facebook, Twitter and any other potential social media outlet that may be accessed by a potential employer. Maybe try adjusting your privacy settings. It’s becoming increasingly common for employers to look for you on social media. Will they like what they find?

3.    Research the Company and Employers  

Make sure you are familiar with the history of the company. I highly recommend you know the company’s goal or mission off the top of your head. During an interview for a co-op, the first question the employer asked me was, “What can you tell me about the history of this company?” Luckily, I had gone overboard with research and managed to tell him the year the company was founded, who founded it and why, their initial mission, and how the company had grown and changed since then. Not all interviews will be like this, but a little background information doesn’t hurt anyone.  

Extra Tip: Be thorough and look past the company’s homepage. Have they been in the news lately? Maybe you’ll be able to congratulate them on a recent accomplishment.

You should also research the employers. The least you can do is know their first and last names. Check the Internet for their bio’s and LinkedIn profiles (because social media works both ways). What are their specialties, career backgrounds, and/or hobbies? Who knows, maybe you have something in common, and can bring it up during the interview. Remember you should want to learn about them just as much as they want to learn about you.  

4.    Practice

You will probably be asked typical interview questions. Therefore have a straightforward and concise answer prepared for the basics, including:

Why would you like to work for X company?

Why should X company hire you?

What can X company offer you?

What can you contribute to X company?

As for the eternally dreadful “What are your weaknesses?” question, there’s really no way around it. Be prepared to answer honestly, employers are tired of hearing the “I’m too much of a perfectionist” answer. The purpose of this question is not to highlight your flaws, but to give you an opportunity to show how you can overcome them.

It is recommended that you only mention one weakness, and talk about what you have done to improve yourself. For example, I’m not the timeliest person on this planet, so I usually answer by saying, “I’m not a morning person, so in the past I haven’t always been on time. However since starting college, I’ve realized the importance of punctuality, so now I set various alarms every morning and leave everything prepared the night before in order to make my mornings run as fast as possible.”

5.    Be Comfortable

The business outfit is not the everyday look for most college students; therefore we might feel a little awkward walking around in blazers, work skirts, and pantyhose. It’s important to feel comfortable, so try wearing something (within the dress code) that makes you feel good. How you feel in your outfit will reflect how the employers perceive you. If you feel comfortable, odds are you’ll also be more natural during your interview.  

It’s also important feel calm and confident. Remember you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. When you talk speak concisely, confidently, and casually… as your employer’s equal. You are not an inferior college student during the interview, you are a potential co-worker.

6.    “Tell me a little bit about yourself”

At some point during the interview, employers will probably ask you to go over your resume with them, or to tell them more about yourself.

No, this is not the part where you give a mini biography of yourself. Only mention things that give meaning to why you want and should get the job. It’s an opportunity to enlighten the interviewer. How did your childhood influence you? Why does this job move you? Through this question, you will be able to show the less-career centered, more human side of yourself.

7.    Examples, Examples, Examples

Your interview will only be as good as the examples you provide. They serve as evidence of your abilities to use the skills you claim to have. When giving an example, try using the PAR strategy, which stands for: Problem, Action, Result.

You should know at least three PAR examples off the top of your head. Think of a few scenarios where you have encountered a problem, taken action, and seen a result. If your resume says you have “excellent leadership skills,” have a PAR example to back it up.   

8.    Ask Questions

Always ask questions during the interview. If you’re actually interested in the position, the employer will assume you’ll want to know more. Besides, you’re also interviewing the company, so you’ll want to leave the interview with as much information about the job as possible.

Extra Tip: Ask questions that, while genuinely asking something, also reveal more about you. An example of this would be, “I love writing blog posts, and have actually run a personal blog for several years, will this job allow me to write for the company’s blog?”

9.    The Questions You Don’t Ask

It’s important to ask questions, but there are a few to always avoid. We all want to know how much we’ll get paid, but salary is not something you want to bring up during the interview, unless the employer mentions it. Also try to avoid asking questions regarding the amount of hours you’ll be required to work, or whether you’ll have vacation time. Basically, avoid technicality questions. These questions can be discussed after you get the job.

10.  Personalized Follow-Up

Generic thank you emails can be such a bore. They are expected and employers get tons of them. In order to stand out, try personalizing your thank you email. After thanking them for their time, try adding a sentence or two about what you enjoyed and learned during the interview. Did the interview make you love the job even more? Did they tell you something about the company you didn’t know and found super interesting? Let them know and tell them why. But remember to always keep it brief.

Happy Co-op Hunting.

Sources

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonyoushaei/2014/10/20/12-surprising-job-interview-tips/

https://www.ivyexec.com/executive-insights/2013/power-stories-fuel-winning-job-interviews-part-2/

http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/interviews/a/jobinterviewtip.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-smith/5-uncommon-interview-tips_b_302962.html

http://www.iseek.org/jobs/interviewtips.html

Nature-loving Puerto Rican feminist who enjoys good movies, red lipstick, and one-too-many glasses of wine
Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: