This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

As we get into the holiday season, we’re going to start eating a lot more holiday-themed foods. Why not try something slightly different this year and make/eat a traditional Christmas dish from another country? 

Anoush Abour (Armenia)

#Vegan #anoush #abour #anoushabour #armenian #traditions #tradition #sweet

Ein Beitrag geteilt von megiselle (@megiselle) am

Meaning “sweet soup” in Armenian, this dish has been a part of the Christmas and New Year’s celebrations in Armenia, which occur from Dec. 31 to Jan. 6, for centuries. There are many different versions of Anoush Arbour, some using various fruits and others nuts. This recipe from Wanderlust and Lipstick advises using apricots, golden raisins, pistachios and pine nuts. 

Cougnou (Belgium)

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Chez Thalie Genval (@chezthaliegenval) am

Cougnou, also known as bread of Jesus, is a Belgian sweet bread that is baked in the shape of a baby Jesus and served throughout the Christmas season. It is especially traditional to give to children on Christmas Day and St. Martin’s Day (Nov. 11) and goes great with a cup of hot cocoa. This recipe from Meilleur du Chef features dark chocolate chips and raisins for the filling. 

Pan de Pascua (Chile)

Ein Beitrag geteilt von petit dolce (@petit_dolce) am

Originally introduced to Chile via German immigrants, this Chilean cake is a combination of the German Stollen and the Italian Pandoro. Despite its name, Pan de Pascua is more of a sweet sponge cake than a bread. This recipe from En Mi Cocina Hoy has you soak raisins, walnuts, peanuts, almonds and candied fruit in rum with lemon zest and spices overnight to pack some real flavor in. 

Truchas de Navidad (Canary Islands)

Supposed to resemble a trout once baked, hence the name Truchas de Navidad, this traditional Christmas dish uses sweet potatoes as a filling, mixed with almonds, cinnamon and anise. This recipe from the Cookbook Project features easy to follow instructions that are sure to give you the perfect turnovers. 

Bejgli (Hungary)

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Balázs Ipacs (@hiszteria) am

Its just not Christmas in Hungary without these rolled-up pastries. Traditionally, bejgli were made with poppy seeds, which symbolize wealth and fertility, and walnuts, which protect against bewitching. Today, however, as this recipe from Hungarian Moms will attest to, there are many different fillings to choose from including chestnuts, marzipan, Nutella or even apple. Have some fun getting creative with what you add to your take on this Hungarian pastry. 

Chin Chin (Nigeria)

Ein Beitrag geteilt von AyanugaBakes (@ayanugabakes) am

A fried snack popular in West Africa, particularly Nigeria, it was originally only served on special occasions. Today, can buy it pre-made in large batches, or attempt to make your own. This recipe from Immaculate Bites lets you shape the Chin Chin however you want and advises adding some nutmeg in for flavoring. 

Bibingka (Philippines)

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Maharlika Filipino Moderno ?? (@maharlikanyc) am

A type of baked rice cake from the Philippines, Bibingka is also found in the Christian communities of Indonesia. Traditionally cooked in clay pots lined with leaves, it is a breakfast item around Christmas time. This recipe from Panlasang Pinoy teaches you how to make it in an ordinary pan, so anyone can make it!

Lussekatter (Sweden)

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Linda Lomelino (@linda_lomelino) am

Traditionally eaten on St. Lucia, a holiday that falls on Dec. 13, Lussekatter begin to make their appearance at bakeries around the first weekend of Advent and can be found throughout the month of December. On the day of, the eldest daughter of the house dresses up in a white dress with a crown of candles and brings these saffron buns to everyone who is celebrating. This recipe from Curious Cuisiniere features the traditional S shape reminiscent of a cat’s tail, hence the name Lussekatter. 

Dulce de lechosa (Venezuela)

Ein Beitrag geteilt von Amorino Panini & Café (@amorinocafe) am

Dulce de lechosa is a Christmas sweet made from green papaya that is cooked in syrup flavored with cinnamon, cloves and vanilla. This recipe from Mari’s Cakes features tons of pictures and tips to help you make your own candied papaya, which you could give to all your friends and family this Christmas. 

These are just a few of the various Christmas dishes found around the world. Have some fun trying out a few of the recipes – maybe you’ll find your new Christmas obsession. 

Xandie Kuenning is the Career Editor at Her Campus and a graduate of Northeastern University with a Bachelor's in International Affairs and minors in Journalism and Psychology. She is an avid traveler with a goal to join the Travelers' Century Club. When not gallivanting around the world, she can be found reading about fairytales or Eurasian politics, baking up a storm, or watching dangerous amounts of Netflix. Follow her on Instagram @AKing1917 and on Twitter @XKuenning.