girl sitting in front of mural
girl sitting in front of mural
Taylor Thoman / Her Campus

Cambridge’s Graffiti Alley: Conflating Art and Activism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

The Graffiti Alley, also known as Modica Way, is a vibrant alleyway located in the hidden slips between an American restaurant and a sporting goods store. In 2007, Boston locals, Geoff Hargadon and Gary Strack, opened up the alleyway next to the walls of Central Kitchen, which is owned by Strack. The idea was for graffiti artists to have a space to paint without fear of being arrested. The alley showcases the work of anonymous artists painted on top of one another in a constantly-changing art gallery. After 13 years of layered spray paint, the Graffiti Alley is alive and well today, attracting artists and tourists from beyond the Boston area. Complementing the spray paint is a wide array of stickers and photographs. The art gradually wandered from the walls of Central Kitchen, where it was originally supposed to be, and eventually overtook the ground, the built-in roof, and the walls of Hilton’s Tent City as well.

What started as an empty alley for anonymous artists to craft their personal artwork soon emerged into a place for art activism. These artists recognize the importance of shedding light on the injustices that occur in this country by using their art to bring about social change. 

Cambridge Graffiti Alley (2/3)
Original photo by Cathy Ching

To raise awareness on the killings of innocent people of color, artists have spray-painted phrases like “Justice for Breonna” on the ground. On March 13, 2020, a young EMT named Breonna Taylor was awoken in the middle of the night and shot eight times because police officers had a search warrant for an alleged drug ring involving her boyfriend. I imagine if there were a time where a visitor did not know what “Justice for Breonna” meant, the art in Graffiti Alley might have prompted them to Google it and educate themselves more about her case.

Cambridge Graffiti Alley (3/3) - Black Lives Matter
Original photo by Cathy Ching

Graffiti Alley is a place for inclusion. Stencils in support of the Black Lives Matter Movement can be found all throughout the alley, as these artists use art activism to remind everyone that they are loved and welcomed.

I believe it is our responsibility to educate ourselves on social issues. If you ever find yourself in the Boston area, head to Graffiti Alley and immerse yourself in the paint fumes and magical atmosphere of people making a difference. 

Cathy Ching

Northeastern '24

Cathy Ching is a second-year student at Northeastern University. She is a journalism major with minors in communication studies and environmental studies.