This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

According to SNL newcomer, it’s not too difficult to get onto the prestigious late night sketch comedy show that has been captivating audiences for almost 40 years. In fact, Brooks joked that all it took was his impressions of a shy insult comic and irritated neighbor of the old woman who lived in a shoe to land his role as a featured player on Saturday Night Live. And while Brooks may not appear on the limelight too much on the show- Brooks himself even joked that most of his sketches get cut- Brooks is a rising star thanks to his dry wit and comedic versatility.

While Brooks may be a fresh face on SNL, he is quite versed in the ways of stand up comedy. In fact, in 2012 he performed at the New York Comedy Festival as a part of Comedy Central’s Top 10 Comics to Watch. What makes Brooks unique is that most of his routine is not scripted jokes but rather unfiltered and uncensored observations about his dysfunctional childhood and the day to day interactions he faces, with stories ranging from the time his dad beat a possum to death to the time Brooks’ thought he had what he could only call “New Aids” after a prank gone wrong.

Brooks was not afraid to poke fun at Northeastern and Boston as a whole, joking about the insane price of Au Bon Pan and the stubborn, often confrontational nature of Bostonians. Brooks has certainly come a long way in the past few years, working his way from engineer to SNL cast member. Only time will tell if Brooks becomes an SL star like former castmates Amy Poehler, Will Ferrell, Tina Fey and Adam Sandler but one thing is certain- dude is funny.

Connor Doherty

Northeastern

I am currently a junior at Northeastern University pursuing a degree in Communications and Political Science. In my spare time I enjoy counting calories, fantasizing about being friends with Jennifer Lawrence and binge watching Lifetime movies.
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!