This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Boston is notorious for its chilly, bitter winters that make you want to bundle up with a blanket and watch the snowfall outside your window. However, after so many cups of coffee from the comfort of your own home, it’s only natural to get a little stir -crazy. Luckily, Boston boasts an abundance of fun activities to get you out and about, rain or shine, snow or sleet. Throw on your thickest parka, wrap yourself in your warmest scarf, and enjoy all Boston has to offer

Boston Common Frog Pond

Open from November to March, the Frog Pond ice rink is a Boston Christmas staple. Lace up your skates & whisk around the rink, staring up at the Christmas lights that adorn the surrounding trees. If you catch a chill, you can always warm up with a gooey mac ‘n cheese or hot soup at the Frog Pond Café.

Hot Chocolate at LA Burdick

If you manage to brave the long line and snag an indoor seat, LA Burdick can be the perfect respite from the harsh winter wind. The café’s menu features the famous “gourmet drinking chocolates” in dark, milk, and white chocolate varieties, as well as a selection of teas and coffees. Make sure to purchase a bag of the drinking chocolate mix to enjoy at home!

Museum of Fine Arts

The world-famous Museum of Fine Arts is primarily indoors, making it the perfect place to lose yourself on a cold afternoon. Wander through the museum’s halls and gaze at paintings, sketches, and artifacts from the newest exhibition “Ancient Nubia Now,” open through January. (Pro-tip: Museum entry is free on Wednesdays after 4pm!)

See Boston from above

When it’s far too cold for a stroll down Newbury Street or an afternoon in the Boston Public Garden, opt to see the city from above. The Prudential Center’s Skywalk Observatory is 50 floors up, offering 360 degree, panoramic views of the snow-dusted city. Peer down the frozen Charles River, the cars capped with snow, and the rest of the wintry wonderland from the comfort of an indoor observatory.

Snowport Winter Village

Until February, Boston’s famous Seaport district transform into Snowport, an idyllic winter village that’s just a jaunt away from campus on the MBTA silver line. Complete with ice skating, outdoor curling games, live music, and even fresh waffles courtesy of The Waffle Cabin, a night at Snowport is the perfect way to get into the winter spirit. 

Elena Plumb

Northeastern '23

Third-year journalism major, International Affairs minor, Global Fashion minor.