This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Have you ever waited anxiously for the weekend, only to feel like you have nothing to do when it actually arrives? Do you think Boston is too expensive to actually have fun? Think again.  Weekends in Boston can be a lot more than shopping at the Prudential Center or strolling up and down iconic Newbury Street. With a little careful planning and research, you can spend all your weekends in completely unique ways–all for less than $10!

Explore Museums: Take the day to explore one of Boston’s many museums. With over 40 museums in the Greater Boston area, you are guaranteed to find one that interests you. Depending on which one you visit, you can find collections pertaining to art, science, history, and even archaeology. Many of the
museums offer Northeastern sudents discounts with their Husky Card and membership packages, making a trip to one easily affordable. Admission to The Harvard Museum of Natural History, The Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology and The Nichols House Museum is just $7, while admission to Museum of African American History is only $5.

Many museums also offer a variety of free events and lectures that you can take advantage of when you purchase admission. Check out Museums of Boston and City of Boston Museums for a full list of Boston museums and links to their websites.

Volunteer: Volunteering is a completely free and fun way to spend the day. Not only does it allow you to make a positive impact on your community, but it’s also a great way to meet new people and discover new interests. In addition to joining one of Northeastern’s many volunteer organizations, you can also help out by getting involved with one of the organizations in the Boston area. Opportunities range from tutoring kids to volunteering with animals. Visit volunteerboston.org for more information on how to get involved.

Explore New Neighborhoods: Discover your inner tourist and take advantage of all the history that Boston has to offer. Boston is home to several different neighborhoods, each with its own unique character. Pick a new neighborhood and explore it for a day–you’ll be presented with a whole new array of shopping, dining and sightseeing options, many of which are inexpensive. For example, you can explore BPR Nature Center at Jamaica Pond in Jamaica Plain or the Old North Church and Paul Revere House for $3 in the North End. Go to Neighborhoods or Travel Boston to read more and to plan your next trip to one of Boston’s many neighborhoods!

Research Free Events: During any given week, you can find a variety of free events happening in Boston. These span from arts and food festivals to concerts and synchronized skating performances. You can even attend informational lectures on topics ranging from the sinuses to chocolate. Go Boston.com’s free events page to find your next free event.

Get Outside:
Even though Boston is a city, there are still plenty of opportunities to spend time in nature! Visit the many attractions of the Boston HarborWalk or run and bike along the Charles River Esplanade if you want to spend some time near the water. Boston is also home to many parks, including the Boston Common, the Boston Public Garden, the Riverway, and the Arnold Arboretum. Visiting the parks is a free and relaxing way to spend the day before the weather turns too cold!

Photos Courtesy of: http://bostinnovation.com

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.