Hero Images with HC Branding 13?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding 13?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Tim Wildsmith
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month! It’s March, and finally starting to get a bit warmer here in Boston. Whether it be for the cold days when you want to bury yourself in a blanket and grab a book, or go out in the sun and catch some rays while reading your favorite magazine, here are some of the best book for women recommendations for the year 2020!

“The Girls of Atomic City” by Denise Kiernan

If you’re a history buff and want to know about about the history behind World War II and our relationship with power, greed, and lies, this is an incredible true story of the top-secret World War II town of Oak Ridge, Tennessee, and the young women brought there unknowingly to help build the atomic bomb. This book will give you the real-life perspective of women who are working for the war, without knowing it. This is sure to be a page-turner!

“What My Mother and I Don’t Talk About: Fifteen Writers Break the Silence” by Michelle Filgate

How is your relationship with your mother? Good, bad, rocky? This book is a collection of stories from different women and their separate relationships with mothers. Some stories will make you cry, some will make you laugh, but every story will show you a piece of a relationship that may be similar to the one that you share with your mother. There are over fifteen brilliant writers that are able to  explore what we don’t talk to our mothers about, and how it affects us, for better or for worse. … There’s a psychotherapist mother and a mom who tells her daughter everything. There is an absent mother and a mother who gives her daughter the world. All of our mothers are different and shape the way we see the world. If you want to read about the different relationships that we all share with our moms, you will want to read this!

“The Farm” by Joanne Ramos

If you like fiction, you’ll love this book. This is about women nestled in the Hudson Valley who stay in a place that boasts  every amenity: organic meals, private fitness trainers, daily massages—and all of it for free. But there is a catch…For you must be pregnant for nine months and you will belong to the Farm. You must be willing to sacrifice your independence and live for nine months for the perfect baby for your wealthy clients who will want you to be constantly monitored. This book is far from reality…right? It may not be as far stretched as we think. 

The Farm is able to expand  our thinking on motherhood, freedom,  money, and family to the extremes, and raises questions about how much we are willing to sacrifice for money.

“The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek: A Novel” by Kim Michele Richardson

This is another good book to read if you enjoy fiction. This is a story about a a 19-year-old woman Cussy Carter, who lives in Kentucky and is considered the last living female of the Blue People ancestry. Cussy becomes a librarian and delivers books to the people of Kentucky, giving them access to knowledge they would not have without her. Cussy will do whatever it takes to give books to the people of Kentucky, even if there are severe consequences.

Happy Women’s History Month! Hopefully you see a book or two that piques your interest and is something you can read while Boston says goodbye to winter and hello to spring!

Lindsey Parcell

Northeastern '23

Hi! I'm Lindsey Parcell, and I'm currently a Nursing Student at Northeastern University. I am originally from New Mexico. My favorite things are green chile, a good book, and the color pink.