This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

The newest trend in the makeup world is naturally glowing skin, which has brought a focus to the importance of skincare. One trend that has been going around for the past year is Korean skincare, also known as the 10-step skin care process. Korean skincare has been around for years, but it has finally broken the Western market for all people to enjoy. While the 10-step process sounds like a lot, I tried it out and am here to share only the best steps!

Courtesy of Simone Digital

1. Double Cleansing:

A staple in Korean skincare is double cleansing. This means having an oil cleanser and a foam cleanser and using one after the other at night to make sure all of the makeup and oils are off of the skin. The oil cleanser is used on dry skin, then activated by a little water, and finally washed off. Oil cleansers eat away all of the makeup on the skin so that none of it gets stuck in the pores. A foam cleanser is just like many drug store foaming face washes, and when used after the oil cleanser, can more efficiently take out the extra dirt and oil in your skin. This method helps prevent breakouts and promotes healthy, clean skin. This method can sound scary for people who have oily skin because it seems like you are putting even more oil on the skin, but an oil cleanser actually breaks up the unhealthy oils on the face and washes them away. Double cleansing could also scare people with dry skin, because it seems to be stripping away precious oils in the skin. This method, however, is just taking away the bad stuff; as long as people with dry skin are using the right moisturizer, this method can only benefit your skin. This means that double cleansing is good for all skin types!

Courtesy of London Beauty Queen

2. Sheet Masks

Sheet masks are sheets of paper that are soaked with a thick essence and, when placed on the face, helps the skin to soak up the product. Sheet masks are one of the most important parts in the Korean skincare routine. A sheet mask gives your face a little something extra, like extra hydration or brightening. They are used after toning the face and are left on for 10 to 30 minutes. A popular trend in Korea is using a sheet mask every single day to get flawless skin. I have done this before and when using a sheet mask regularly, the texture and glow of my skin dramatically changed. Using sheet masks this often can seem expensive and time consuming, but places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx offer them at an inexpensive price, and putting one on at night can definitely be a de-stresser.

Courtesy of Barely There Beauty

3. Essence

Essence is the hidden gem of Korean skincare. Not many women use or know about essence in Western countries, but they are definitely missing out. Essence is used after toner and has a lot of active ingredients used to smooth the skin and help the other skincare products to absorb better. The consistency of essence can range from liquid (like water) to viscous (like a gel); both are put straight on the skin from the bottle or poured onto the hand first and then pressed into the skin. Essence helps to give an inner glow to the skin.

Courtesy of Into The Gloss

4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen is the last step in the routine and can often be overlooked by younger women. Sunscreen is a staple in Korean skincare; Korean women avoid the sun in all settings and make sure to protect their skin every single morning. This is one of the ways they are able to keep their skin from showing age. Every day, your face is exposed to sun rays that can lead to the skin aging over time or sun-spots. Using sunscreen every morning helps to slow the aging process and keep young skin looking young. Many sunscreens have an oily texture or a gross smell, but finding one that works for your skin can benefit your skin in the long run.