ISEC building
ISEC building
Original photo by Smrithi Dhananjaya
Life > Academics

Being Undeclared at Northeastern: A Reflection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

After meeting someone new, whether it be a college student, a professor or a friend of one’s parents, college students are often asked the million-dollar question — what are you studying? 

Following my decision to switch into the Explore Program mid-way through my first semester at Northeastern, I started to feel embarrassed about having to answer that I am undecided on my major. When I began my college journey at Northeastern, I felt pressured to throw myself into a major that I was not sure about. Looking back, that is something I regret. 

I have learned that it is better to take my time than rush into something that I am unsure is my passion. However, I still struggle with feeling “behind” even though Northeastern students have until the end of their second year to declare a major.

I often ask myself why I feel ashamed telling people that I am undeclared, and I believe that this can be answered by my experience at Northeastern. The culture here provides a pressure like no other. For instance, the engineering program at Northeastern is very rigorous, and I often find myself comparing myself to friends and asking myself why I can’t be like others. The truth is that no matter how “put-together” a certain person seems, you never know what is going on internally. Many students at Northeastern seem to have their entire life planned out from the beginning, which is simply not how I am.

I frequently feel like I’m the only one still deciding on what I want to study in college and do with my life. However, even those who have decided on a major may not know their exact plans after graduation or may change that major throughout college.

I have to remind myself that just because I am undeclared doesn’t mean I am any less driven or determined than my friends with majors, who seemingly have everything figured out. 

At the end of the day, I know that exploring my interests is what is best for me right now. It is hard not knowing my plan in a school where it seems that everyone already has one, but I must remind myself that many people put on a facade. Additionally, it is very common for college students to switch majors or be undecided. 

What is most important is to focus on doing the best I can in school and finding what is best for me to pursue, not throwing myself into a major just so I can tell people that I have picked one. 

Tara O'Connor

Northeastern '25

Tara O'Connor is a third-year Business Administration major with a concentration in Marketing and a minor in Political Science at Northeastern University. She is the current secretary of Her Campus and has been in Her Campus for two years. She is from Norwalk, Connecticut. In her free time, Tara loves to go to the beach, explore new places, and go thrift shopping.