Career

Add a Little Jazz to Your Resume Over the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Being home for the summer is a sacred time that we all value. But before you decide to spend the next four months sitting on your couch, not doing much, maybe think about venturing out of your comfort zone a bit and doing something to spice up your resume. This is your time to shine and do whatever you please! Here are some ideas that could be fun and enriching all at the same time. 

1. Get a part time job in your home town

Courtesy of Pexels

This could not only add to your work experience, but you could also build a strong relationship with your employer and eventually add them to your list of references. Often times your post-grad potential employers will be looking for someone outgoing, fun to work with and responsible. By working hard and proving yourself at what may seem like minuscule tasks, you will prove that you are a hard worker who takes everything seriously and would be up to the task when you are given larger responsibilities.

2. Do some freelance work

Courtesy of Pexels

If you are looking to find out what you are interested in, freelancing can be a great way for you to test the waters in a number of different professions, with little to no commitment, giving you experience and understanding of navigating different professional workplaces. This could also be a great way for you to build relationships with people in a number of industries; you never know when it could come in handy to have an insider who is able to tell you if the company they work for is hiring. Always make sure you are leaving a good impression, even if you aren’t interested in pursuing a career in that field.

3. Take a few trips

Courtesy of Pexels

Getting a feel for different towns, cities or even states can be a major plus on your resume. Often times, especially with the current competitive job market, employers are looking for someone who can bring a unique perspective to the workplace and to their teams. Being well traveled will always come in handy, and it will show your employers that you are not afraid to get out of your comfort zone. You don’t even have to write this one down on your resume, just bringing it up in conversation with recruiters can show them that you really have made an effort to step out of your comfort zone and learn more about the world around you.

4. Study abroad

Courtesy of Pexels

This can fit right into your education experience, and always makes for interesting conversations with your interviewer. Not only will you have made new friends in a foreign country, but you will prove that you are not afraid to take on a challenge and that you can show a good understanding and respect for other cultures. You don’t have to bring this one up in every conversation you have with anyone you meet, but it will always give you perspective and help you appreciate people from around the world that you otherwise probably wouldn’t have met. 

5. Take a full-time internship (even if it’s unpaid)

Courtesy of Pexels 

Although we all want to make those extra bucks, your summer vacation could be a time for you to enrich your experience without necessarily en’riching’ your wallet (get it?). While you are back at home and your expenses are subsidized again (for the most part) this can be a great time for you to take advantage of these amazing opportunities you likely do not have the time for while you are taking classes. This can be a great time for you to prove yourself as someone who is willing to work no matter the compensation, and would prove to your boss that you value their time and organization (and you’re not just there for the extra cash).