A Guide to My Favorite Horror-esque Movies (In No Particular Order)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

While horror movies are among my favorites year-round, Halloween is the perfect time to indulge in the unsettling and frightening feeling of them. Here’s a roundup of my favorite horror movies you could binge to prep for the spooky season:

The Shining (1980) 

Based on Stephen King’s 1977 novel, this 80s movie is one of the most popular horror movies of all time — and rightfully so. Compared to some modern horror movies that incorporate technology and useless plot-advancing jump scares, “The Shining” is truly scary in the nature of the story which is set in an empty hotel. With creepy iconic scenes like the bloody elevator “Redrum” and “Here’s Johnny,” this classic movie should definitely be on your must-watch list. 

The Sixth Sense (1999)

If you’re not a fan of straight horror movies but still want to get into the Halloween spirit, this psychological thriller is for you. The movie follows the story of a young boy who communicates with spirits, as he gets help from a local child psychologist. The shocking plot twist at the end finishes the movie off with a bang. The best part is rewatching the film after knowing the ending and picking up on all the clues littered throughout!

Midsommar (2019)

While this movie may not seem scary at first glance, the gory and graphic scenes greatly contrast the bright, sunny Swedish countryside that the movie is set in. As a group of American scholars travels to Sweden to observe the summertime celebration “Midsommar,” they are introduced to some truly horrifying traditions. With incredible acting from the main actors, notably Florence Pugh, there’s no doubt this movie will leave you feeling unsettled.

Scream (1996)

With the iconic Ghostface killer as the movie’s main antagonist, this slasher film is a must-see. While I have to admit there is no real “wow” factor, the cheesy teenage humor, sneak attacks and overall nostalgic feeling makes it perfect for a movie night with friends.

The Conjuring (2013) 

With supernatural horror movies being my personal favorite, “The Conjuring” is definitely number one in my book. Following the paranormal investigations of the film’s lead characters, Ed and Loraine Warren, this movie has the perfect balance of a sensible plot and scare factor. If you do end up liking this film, I also highly recommend the rest of the series and the “Annabelle” series — which exists in the same universe. 

Hereditary (2018) 

Of all the horror movies mentioned in this list, “Hereditary” is the one I have re-watched the most. What makes this movie so good, in my opinion, is the mix of realism and supernatural events throughout the entirety of the 2 hour and 7 minute runtime. With a plot full of family drama, portrayals of mental illness and psychological plot twists, “Hereditary” will keep you on the edge of your seat.  

The Boy (2018) 

If you are looking for a film to scare you right out of the gates, this might not be the one for you. However if you’re like me and enjoy movies that build up suspense, “The Boy” is perfect. Set in a large Victorian style house, the film’s plot line resembles one of a slow-burn as it starts with little incidents that eventually build to a big reveal at the end. 

The horror genre is filled with weak plot points and shaky camera angles — hopefully this list can help guide you towards one with more substantial plots that will not only leave you feeling a little bit scared but definitely entertained. Happy watching!! 

Jessica Brite

Northeastern '23

Jess is a fourth-year journalism major with a double minor in communications and global fashion studies at Northeastern University. Born and raised in NYC Jess enjoys all things fashion, beauty, lifestyle and music!