7 Things to Do in Boston to Get in the Holiday Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

True to American tradition, Halloween is over, meaning it is officially the holiday season. Here, I’ve curated a list of fun activities in Boston to get you into the swing of the season and help you embrace the Christmas vibes. 

1. Grab some decadent hot chocolate and pastries at L.A. Burdick Handmade Chocolates

In addition to offering exquisite and whimsical chocolates, L.A. Burdick sells some of the best hot chocolate in the city perfect for putting a sugar-fueled jingle in your step. With options of dark, milk or white chocolate beverages and a spicy Mexican hot chocolate to choose from, there is something for everyone. Grab a quick cup and talk with friends in their charming shop right off Newbury street. 

1. Give your Christmas list to Santa at the Faneuil Hall Tree Lighting

A classic Boston tradition, the annual tree lighting at Faneuil Hall marketplace is sure to draw a crowd. The festivities start at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, November 21st and last until 7 p.m. in front of Quincy Market. Not only are you in for an inspiring light show, Santa is also planning to swoop into BeanTown to use his magic to light up the tree. Enjoy the holiday cheer with friends among other Bostonians.

1. Welcome the chilly weather and go ice-skating at the Boston Common

As winter approaches, the Boston Common Frog Pond will be transformed into an ice rink perfect for embracing the holiday spirit with friends. Bring your short friends as admission is free for skaters under 58 inches. For anyone not so close to the ground, skating will set you back a mere $10. They also have skate rentals for only $15 and skating aids for $18 per hour for your clumsy companions. If you would prefer to stay on solid ground, the rink always draws a large crowd of observers watching their loved ones or the occasional epic fall. 

1. Revisit a Christmas classic and attend ‘The Nutcracker’ at Citizens Bank Opera House

Truly an iconic Christmas performance, “The Nutcracker” is a great way to start submerging yourself in the holiday cheer. The Boston Ballet is performing Tchaikovsky’s most popular ballet from November 24th to December 31st, providing a foolproof excuse to get dressed up and have a festive night out with friends or loved ones. Ticket prices are as low as $25 and 50% off for audience members under 21 for select performances. 

1. Go for a stroll around Boston’s Holiday Lights Trail

Boston boasts a wide variety of beautiful landmarks and neighborhoods. Go explore iconic sites of the city decorated for the holidays on Boston’s Holiday Lights Trail. The trail includes Newbury and Boylston Street, Faneuil Hall, the Boston Common and Public Gardens, Downtown Crossing and many other sites. All of the neighborhoods on the trail will be covered in bright lights by November 30th, the ideal time to get in the mood for the holidays. 

1. Explore all Seaport’s Holiday Market has to offer

The annual Holiday Market at Snowport in the Seaport district is said to be the biggest it has ever been this year. Whether you’re exploring the over 120 small business vendors, buying a Christmas tree, grabbing a bite at one of the many stands or adding to the Christmas wish wall, there is plenty of Christmas cheer to go around. The market lasts until December 31st, providing plenty of time to plan a weekend or afternoon trip with friends to Seaport. 

1. Embody the giving spirit and volunteer at Christmas in the City

Last but certainly not least, the best way to spread the holiday joy is by giving back to those in need. Christmas in the City is a Boston based organization with the mission to help all children experience the magic of the holiday season regardless of financial circumstance. This year, they are hosting an event called Jake’s Toy Mania in which they are collecting toys for underprivileged children. Get involved by volunteering to register families, sort donations, stock shelves or help families shop. 

Morgan Lane

Northeastern '27

Morgan Lane is a first year English and Journalism major at Northeastern University. She loves the outdoors and her hobbies include playing the violin, baking, cooking, and reading.