7 Things to Do on Your At-Home Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Ditching the beaches in Cancun for a week at home this spring break? You’re not the only one! After I realized spring break wasn’t in my budget this year, I planned to take the trip home for the week. After joking with my mom about putting sand in the kitchen so I could ‘pretend’ it was the beach, I decided to take it upon myself to make some real plans- locally and cost effectively of course.

So, if you’re like me, and you’ll be hanging at home this break, here are some ideas of how to keep yourself busy, and to most importantly- enjoy yourself!

1. Read

I know, I know, this seems like a no brainer. But, if your semester has been as crazy as mine, take advantage of this time to escape reality and read something you enjoy for once! I have five or books that I have started and never finished. Need some ideas? Here are a few from my list:

• The Hunger Games Trilogy
  • Three Weeks With my Brother
  • Little Bee
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

2. Volunteer
Is there a local animal shelter or senior center in your town? If so, see if you can help out a couple days during break! It always feels good to give back, and who knows, you might meet other volunteers your age there, too! You can call it your own personal ASB, minus the flight.

3. Arts and crafts

After I hand made made my holiday cards last winter (all 50 of ‘em!) I couldn’t wait to do more arts and crafts. But, as my insane semester rolled on, I have had no time to relax with my construction paper and glue. Look up some DIY projects you’ve always wanted to do, or hand make a card for a friend’s birthday that’s coming up. Some web sites for ideas:

4. The what Museum?
Have you always wanted to visit a museum in your area, but never got around to it? Now’s your chance! Grab a buddy, your mom, or dad, or go at it alone. Since I’m local to Boston, I’m planning on visiting the ICA and the Museum of Science  since I haven’t been since I was 10!

5. Mini Road Trip
If you have access to a car, plan mini day trips with friends or even yourself! Figure out what’s most cost effective, grab your camera and make a day out of it! Before you go, don’t forget to:

• Wear a comfortable (but cute!) outfit
  • Make a play list on your Ipod
  • Pack your favorite snacks (Get ideas here)
  • Bring your water bottle
  • Write a list of goals you’d like to accomplish during the day (i.e. try a new food in the area, take a picture with X, Y and Z, etc.)

6. Exercise

In my opinion, there is nothing better than breaking a good sweat (okay, maybe a few things.) Try out a new yoga studio, map out a new running route, climb the rock-climbing wall at your gym, take a Zumba class, or if you’re feeling really adventurous, a hike! My friend (who’s an experienced hiker) promised me he would take me on one this spring break. I can’t wait to break a sweat, see an amazing view and take a ton of pictures like a tourist!

7. Spa Time
Who doesn’t love a good mani/pedi? I still have a gift certificate to a local spa from the holidays, so I plan on using that puppy right away when I get home! Indulge in a day with your mom, sister or friend(s) at a local salon or spa. Even treat yourself to lunch after! If you don’t want to break the bank, plan your own personal spa day at home by using ideas from here.

Even though I won’t be on the beach this spring break, I’m still pretty excited to spend it with my family and dog. If you keep yourself busy with all of these fun activities, you might even need another break after your break! …but let’s hope not.

Comment with your at-home Spring Break plans!

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.