This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Cold weather is a great excuse to stay inside all day and watch Netflix. But there is no excuse for dry, unhealthy-looking skin. In Boston, we deal with cold temperatures six to eight months of the year. Colder temperatures are usually accompanied by drier weather, which can draw the hydration out of skin. Our skin needs extra attention during colder months to stay looking healthy and glowy. Here are seven tips on how to keep your skin looking flawless during cold weather:

1. Use a hydrating mist

Courtesy of Tarte

On days when it’s cold and windy outside, your makeup can dry up and exaggerate the dry skin patches on your face. A hydrating mist can keep your makeup looking fresh throughout the day by adding hydration back into your face. This 4-in-1 setting mist – Rainforest of the Sea™ Collection by Tarte ($25) can be used before you apply makeup and throughout the day to touch up the moisture of your face. A cheaper alternative is Brumisateur® Natural Mineral Water Facial Spray by Evian ($12.50); it doesn’t claim to have all the abilities that Tarte’s setting mist has, but it does a great job of hydrating skin after applying makeup.

2. Scarves are your best friend  

Courtesy of H&M

This one may seem kind of obvious, but I feel like not a lot of people do this. Covering your face is one of the best ways to protect your skin from harsh cold winds. I’m not saying you have to wear a ski mask but wrapping your scarf around the bottom half of your face will not only keep you warm but also protect your skin from becoming dry and chapped.

3. Treat yourself with an overnight moisturizing mask

Courtesy of Amazon

Your skin loses a lot of moisture when you sleep, especially if you sleep with the heat on. Putting a moisturizing overnight mask on once or twice a week as you sleep will provide a barrier between your skin and the dry air. I really like this one by The Body Shop; it smells amazing and I always wake up with glowing skin.

4. Serum, serum, serum

Courtesy of First Aid Beauty

Adding a serum into your skincare routine can completely change the way your skin reacts to cold weather. Serums add a layer of protection to the skin and also replenishes healthy oils and vitamins into the skin. Personally, my skin is too oily in the summer for a serum, but during the winter I incorporate serums to balance out my dry skin.  

5. Take your vitamins!

Courtesy of Giphy

My mom used to tell me to take my vitamins everyday, and now I’m humbly admitting she was right. There are three main vitamins that are crucial for healthy looking skin: Vitamins B, D and E. For some places, cold months means less sun and that means less Vitamin D. Dr. Dennis Gross, a dermatologist and creator of Dr. Dennis Gross skincare, stated that vitamin D can increase skin elasticity, collagen production, and reduce the appearance of dark spots. A Vitamin B complex contains different types of Vitamin B like B-12 and Biotin. B-12 helps with your metabolism and PMS symptoms while Biotin helps prevent brittle skin and nails. Might as well help your skin and period symptoms! Vitamin E comes in an oil form which can be used topically on the skin. I like to put it on my cuticles before bed every night to keep them looking soft. I also recommend putting it on any acne scars since it’s known for reducing the appearance of blemishes such as these.

6. Incorporate toner into your routine

Courtesy of Fresh

Toner is great way to clean your skin while also allowing it to absorb more moisture. I’m obsessed with this Rose Deep Hydration Facial Toner by Fresh. It incorporates rose petals into the toner to hydrate the skin as well as refine the appearance of pores. Your skin will feel clean and extremely hydrated after using this toner. Plus, it just looks so pretty!  

7. Just move

Courtesy of Dicas Da California

Give up. Move far away from freezing temperatures and live somewhere warm. Soak in the sun and take naps on the beach. Don’t forget to wear sunscreen!

Sophomore at Northeastern University. Interested in Fashion, Beauty, Culture, and Politics!