The winter season has arrived and brought temperatures down with it. Cue dry skin, dull hair, and a host of other issues. But don’t worry, collegiettes, here are a few tips to help you fight off the beauty blunders. And the best part, you probably already have all of the ingredients in your pantry!
1. Pimples? Try this: Make a face mask with oatmeal, honey, and lemon juice. The oatmeal soothes the redness and bumps. The honey moisturizes and kills bacteria. And the lemon juice also kills bacteria and evens skin tone.
2. Eye bags? Try this: Steep two tea bags and let them cool down (you can also refrigerate them if you’re short on time). Lay down and place one tea bag on each eye. Let them sit for 10-15 minutes.
3. Sensitive skin? Try this: Mix a few tablespoons of cocoa powder, honey, and avocado together and apply to the skin. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. Also, drink plenty of water and don’t over-exfoliate.
4. Dry skin? Try this: After a bath or shower, apply olive oil to the skin. Olive oil is great for the skin because it’s all natural and it’s so moisturizing! But, more importantly, avoid moisturizing with anything petroleum based. It will only coat the skin, it won’t moisturize it.
5. Uneven skin tone? Try this: Exfoliate! It helps increase circulation and promote a more uniform tone. Also, apply lemon juice to the area(s). Leave it on for 5-10 minutes and then wash it off.
6. Dry, dull hair? Try this: Make a mixture of olive oil and honey in a ratio of 3:1. Heat it up in the microwave until it’s warm and apply this mask to damp hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then shampoo and condition as normal. Olive oil and honey both add moisture and shine to dull hair.
7. No-so-white teeth? Try this: Make a paste with baking soda and a few drops of hydrogen peroxide and use it as toothpaste. Both baking soda and hydrogen peroxide have been shown to have a whitening effect.