6 Ways to Prepare for the Cold Boston Weather, from a Minnesotan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I know, I know… we just entered the start of the fall season; some of the leaves on the trees are still green, but we have already experienced chilly weather here in Boston. Sooner than later, we will start seeing temperatures in the 30s, then the 20s, and all of a sudden snow is everywhere and ice is covering the streets and sidewalks. Boston is in the Northeast side of the country, so when it gets cold, it gets cold fast. I’m a Minnesotan, so I know cold like the back of my hand. However, if you are from a place in the country or the world where the coldest it gets in the winter is 50 degrees, here are some tips for you to best prepare yourself for the Boston winter!

1. Layers, Layers, Layers! 
    1. Layers are essential. You want to layer both your upper and lower body. A t-shirt, sweatshirt and a jacket is essential. For your legs, skin-tight leggings are very useful to wear under sweatpants or jeans. The material of jackets and jeans may seem thick enough to keep your body warm, but you will definitely feel the cold if you do not layer up. 
  2. Hats or Ear Muffs!
    1. Don’t think that your long hair will keep your ears warm. You want to keep your ears covered in order to prevent frostbite (believe me, frostbite is not fun). There are many cute hats and earmuffs to choose from to keep your ears and the top of your head nice and warm!
  3. Get Fleeced-Lined Boots 
    1. One of my favorite pairs of shoes at the moment are these burgundy Doc Martens that are fleece-lined. Get yourself a pair of fleece-lined boots! As you walk to and from class, or spend your day making snow angels or building snowmen (or any other fun winter activities), your feet will get super cold without fleece-lined boots, even with the thickest socks in the world. 
  4. Longer Coats Keep You Warmer 
    1. Long coats that cover your upper legs will keep you warmer than just coats that stop at the waist. These coats will add another layer to your legs to keep you even more toasty. 
  5. Hot Drinks All The Way!
    1. Soon, you’ll have another reason to grab a hot coffee from Starbucks, Dunkin, or Tatte. Not only do you need the espresso to keep you up during the day, but a hot drink can also make you feel nice and warm on the inside, just like you do on the outside!
  6. Take Care of Yourself
    1. Last, and definitely not least, it’s crucial to take care of yourself during the cold season. Make sure to moisturize your skin, as your skin is prone to be drier when it gets colder. Make sure to invest in Vitamin D supplements, as there won’t be much sunlight to provide that for you. Additionally, make sure you do things that bring you joy! Seasonal sadness is real for so many of us, and I myself have found myself feeling down during the winter season. So, as it gets colder, make sure you make a list of fun things to do! Whether that be watching a Netflix movie, going to the gym more often, or even reading a book, do anything that gives you joy to make it through the winter! 
Grace Ulferts

Northeastern '25

Hello! I'm Grace I am a third-year Behavioral Neuroscience and Philosophy major. I'm originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota. This is my second year being a part of Her Campus, and I absolutely love it! I love to write, and Her Campus is such a warm and welcoming community! :)