This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s finally here- the spookiest time of the year! Fall is right around the corner, and we can’t wait to dive headfirst into fall festivities. Maybe you’re someone that spends the season cozied up inside, or maybe you’re someone that can’t wait to jump into a crunchy pile of leaves. Regardless, we’ve got you covered. 

Fall creeps up in the most unexpected ways. Perhaps you’re walking back from class and spot the first flutters of red and orange drifting from the trees. Perhaps you’re studying in your campus Starbucks and notice the new advertisements for all things pumpkin spice. Perhaps you’ve just notice the drop in temperature, and already donned a comfy shawl and fuzzy socks. Even if you’re still in denial, you’ll realize it fast: the sunny summer has faded into autumn’s classic chill. 

Don’t try and fight it! Instead, prepare to embrace all that fall has to offer. Before you know it, you’ll be trading a jean jacket for a padded parka and facing Boston’s blizzards. As long as no icicles are dangling from dorm roofs, it’s time to grab some apple cider and have your pumpkin carving tools at the ready. Here are 5 ways to enjoy the season while it lasts. 

Trick-Or-Treats

With a new season comes a flood of new food. Fall celebrates delicious treats more than any other season, especially thanks to the mountain of candy you’ll bring home once October rolls around. If you have a sweet tooth like I do, nothing gets you quite as excited as the prospect of delectable desserts. You might already be craving a pumpkin pie (I know I am), but you could also shake things up with chocolate tarts, zucchini bread, or pecan bundt cakes. And don’t forget to pour your friends some spicy chai or sip some fresh apple cider. 

Apple of My Eye

Every autumn, thousands of people flock to apple orchards to pluck their very own apples off the tree. Even if it’s not quite pumpkin patch season yet, farmers are already opening their gates to anyone eager for a frolic in the fields. No matter your age, apple picking is for anyone to enjoy. Nothing quite compares to taking the first bite of an apple you chose yourself!

Fall Flicks

When it’s too nippy outside, you might just want to bundle up with soft blankets until you’re fully cocooned. That doesn’t mean you’ll miss out on the seasonal fun! There are plenty of fall-themed movies to watch, and I’m not just talking about eerie Halloween horror. If you don’t have time for a Netflix binge, turn on some football and cheer for your favorite team. By the time you emerge from the covers, you’ll be an expert on each player’s stats.

Harvest Hikes

You might be missing summer’s balmy days and lush green hills, but don’t underestimate Mother Nature. One of the best September past times is to simply watch the trees change color. Aspens, oaks, and birches alike will explode in a dazzling display. Your campus will blush crimson or sparkle with gold;  all you have to do is step outside. Is class starting to feel overwhelming, or do you need a break from you roomie? Take a seasonal stroll and soak up everything that the wild has to offer.

School Spirits

You might be bummed about classes starting up again, but the new semester also brings a series of fresh starts. Anything could happen this semester, as long as you have the courage to step out of your comfort zone. Sometimes, the daunting start to school scares students even more than ghouls and ghosts. But at the end of the day, remember that you’re never alone. The idea of making new friends might make you an anxious mess, but connecting to others is the best fall activity of all. Don’t forget, autumn is a season of coming together, giving thanks, and celebrating with each other.

With that in mind, try your best to be-leaf in yourself and have an incredible season!

Kenneal Patterson

Northeastern '22

Kenneal Patterson is a sophomore at Northeastern University, and she's so excited to be writing for Her Campus! Kenneal is currently studying Journalism and Political Science, with a minor in Global Health. She's from Denver, and her favorite pastimes include hiking in the Rocky Mountains with her dogs. She hopes you enjoy her articles!
Nia Beckett

Northeastern '22

Nia is a second-year journalism major with a global fashion studies minor at Northeastern University. She loves Carrie Bradshaw, YouTube, and chai tea lattes. Follow her on Instagram @niashalise_.