5 Tips I Wish Someone Told Me Before Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Thinking about studying abroad for a semester? Go for it. Don’t question it—just do it. From a fellow study abroad Husky, I can guarantee you it’ll be one of the best choices you’ll ever make. During my time in Australia, I had the opportunity to make so many incredible friends, go places that people have scribbled onto their bucket list, and make my friends back home jealous with all the breathtaking beach photos I would Instagram too often. Along the way, I learned a lot of life lessons. While I’m glad I learned some on my own, here are a few that I wish I knew beforehand.

1. You don’t have to follow the crowd.
There’s often this misconception that as a study abroad student you have to spend every night partying or every weekend traveling the surrounding cities. Although this might appeal to some, it doesn’t mean that it has to appeal to you. Be prepared to step out of your comfort zone, but also understand that your study abroad is more than just incredible nightlife and a jet setting lifestyle. When I first came to Sydney, I was so nervous that my study abroad experience wouldn’t be perceived as crazy or as fun as my friends expected. After a few weeks, I came to the conclusion that I was seriously over thinking the concept of ‘studying abroad.’ After letting go of these expectations and insecurities, I found that I was truly captivated by Australia’s impressive diversity and magnificent beauty.

2. Not all universities are as perfect as Northeastern. Do all the research you can on the school you’re interested in.
I absolutely adored the city of Sydney and could not imagine spending my semester anywhere else. However, I was not the biggest fan of the university I attended. I’ll admit, the beautiful campus was as close as I’ll get to ever attending anything that looks remotely like Hogwarts. Yet how far can the charming aesthetics go if the education system itself is not what you’re looking for? Although I’m glad I had the opportunity to experience a large student population and campus, I wish I did more research on the school so I was better prepared for what was to come (Essential side tip: Do your research on apartment hunting as well and make sure you’re comfortable with how far your apartment is to your classes. I know I was definitely not prepared for my 40-minute walk to and from class every day).

3. Make a budget… and then multiply that by two.
Depending on the country you choose to study abroad in, there’s a high possibility that the country’s standard of living might take a toll on your wallet. In Australia, I know that I greatly struggled with sticking to my budget—not because I was lavishly spending but because prices were simply higher for everything. Be prepared to save up as much of your co-op salary as possible and have a backup plan if you start running low. Will your parents be providing a monthly allowance? Are you willing to get a part-time job abroad? These are a few questions you should consider before moving 10,000 miles away.

4. Boston is a four-season city but not all cities are. Look into the climate.
My roommate wanted to prepare for all types of ‘crazy Australian weather.’ She brought a winter coat, rain boots, and an umbrella. To this day, she has never used any of them. This seems like a silly tip, but make sure you understand what the country’s climate will be like during your semester and attempt to pack as light as possible. You will realistically be buying new clothes but you won’t be able to bring any of them back if you don’t have leftover space in your luggage!

5. Stop believing that all long distance relationships don’t work.
You might already have negative preconceived notions about long distance relationships, but when you’re 10,000 miles away they might grow even stronger. To make it worse, your new study abroad friends might even try to convince you to break it off so you can ‘be single and enjoy your time abroad.’ Although my boyfriend and I are still in a relationship, staying together was a challenge to say the least. It’s very common to be worried that you won’t fully enjoy your semester abroad with a long distance boyfriend, but that’s definitely not true. I have experienced the Sydney nightlife, traveled all throughout Australia, and much more with my boyfriend by my side. Remember that your significant other should never hinder you from this once in a lifetime experience but serve as a support system and a best friend to share all your exciting stories with.

Being so far away from home might be a terrifying thought, but it is an experience truly like no other. Go out and explore the world and show them how strong us Huskies really are!

Kimberly Izar

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!