IMG 4584 2jpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 4584 2jpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Marti Bennett
Style > Decor

5 Tips to Help You Decorate Your Dorm Room 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

With the new academic year starting, there’s one extremely important question that is on all of our minds: How am I going to decorate my dorm room? If you find yourself having trouble with this decision and trolling all Dormify has to offer in the middle of the night, DON’T WORRY, Her Campus and I are here to help guide you through this daunting yet rewarding process.  

1. Try to get the deets on your dorm before move in day

It is extremely helpful to know how much wall space is allocated to you before move-in day. If you’re anything like me, you might have to return part of your beloved collection of overpriced Urban Outfitter room decor due to a shortage of wall space. Plus, if you decide to make a photo wall, knowing your room’s layout will help in figuring out how many pictures to print beforehand. Though Northeastern’s disclosure policy prohibits them from giving incoming students dorm dimensions due to safety reasons, you can try to find a photo of your dorm online or use Northeastern’s dorm blueprints under the Housing and Residential Life page for a heads up.

2. Stay focused

Though it is very tempting to buy every decoration and poster/artwork that catches your eye, remember to stay on track. Chaos can usually be avoided by planning a basic theme that you want your room to display. In my experience, I decided on a color scheme and vibe I wanted to achieve beforehand and was able to limit my decoration search to items that matched the look I was going for. 

3. Decorating your dorm is not cheap, but we got you covered 

Buying throw pillows, decorations, and bedding can be expensive, so here are where the hacks come in! You can print photos from CVS for as low as 23 cents each or gather polaroid photos to create a trendy photo wall. Whiteboards are inexpensive and can take up wall space while keeping you organized. Also, websites such as Allposters have cute and affordable posters for sale to hang on your wall. When it comes to bedding, If you have an older sibling who survived their first year, you’re covered; you can use their twin XL sheets from their freshman year. And while throw pillows may look nice, they are also expensive and usually wind up on the floor anyway, so do your best to resist the urge and shy away from them.  

4. Less is More

Even though it is easy to get carried away in the dark web of dorm shopping, remember that less is more. An overabundance of wall decor can make the room look cluttered and messy. Don’t forget that with the invention of Amazon Prime, it has never been easier to send items to your dorm with a click of a button. Most college sites will have discounts after school starts, so it can be beneficial to wait to buy whatever isn’t immediately needed after moving in. 

5. Have Fun!

Moving away from home can be stressful, but remember to actively enjoy every step of the journey. No matter how you choose to decorate your dorm, stay true to yourself and have fun with it! Every little thing you add will slowly turn your dorm room into your new home away from home.  

Marti Bennett

Northeastern '23

Marti Bennett is a freshman at Northeastern University and is from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. She loves to spend her free time writing at Tatte and can't wait to contribute more to Her Campus at Northeastern University!
Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: