This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s always amazing to see women being represented in the music industry, but women still have a long way to go. It’s a constant battle for women to get acknowledgement for their work and to receive the recognition they deserve.

In 2017, Liz Pelly, a music writer who has been studying Spotify’s effects on gender bias and music consumption in the music industry, noticed that on Spotify’s year-end top ten most-streamed tracks playlist, not a single female was featured. She also noted that Billboard’s December headline that year was “Let’s Hear It for The Boys”.

Music is meant to be for everyone, but how can this be achieved when women in the industry are not getting the respect they deserve? In a male dominated industry, women should be given a platform that allows them to express themselves freely. They should never be shamed for expressing their views, but rather feel safe and supported by the industry at all times.

Females empowerment has come a long way in the music industry, with female artists rooting for one another. More executives of record labels are female, and their expertise can help shatter the gender bias and glass ceiling for women in the music industry. We love supporting female artists and helping them get the recognition they deserve!

Therefore, here are some songs by some talented ladies that you should definitely be listening to:

1. “Good As Hell” by Lizzo

2. “Don’t Feel Like Crying” by Sigrid

3. “Give A Little” by Maggie Rogers 

4. “Lunch” by Stella Donnelly

5. “Butterflies” by Kacey Musgraves

6. “God is a Woman” by Ariana Grande

7. “bury a friend” by Billie Eilish

8. “Make Me Feel” by Janelle Monáe

9. “1950” by King Princess

10. “Real Love” by Ashe

11. “Just the Same” by Charlotte Lawrence

12. “Nobody” by Mitski

13. “Lovin’ Is Bible” by The Aces

14. “You and I” by LÉON

15. “Like I Remember You” by Vera Blue

16. “Feels” by Kehlani

17. “Not the Time” by SASAMI

18. “I Remember” by Betty Who

19. “Blue Lights” by Jorja Smith

20. “One More” by Yaeji

21. “A Little More” by Alessia Cara

22. “Stray” by Grace VanderWaal

23. “Hard Place” by H.E.R.

24. “Beautiful Wreck” by MØ

25. “The Reason” by Chelsea Cutler

Victoria Tan

Northeastern '19

Hello! My name is Victoria Tan and I recently graduated from Northeastern University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration. During my time there, I double majored in marketing and finance. You would most likely find me wandering through the halls of a musuem, or exploring different neighborhoods. P.S. I am always on the hunt for the best ice cream spots, so let me know if you need recommendations, or have any suggestions!