social justice while social distancing?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
social justice while social distancing?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

15 Movies on Netflix with Strong Women Leads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

In honor of Women’s History Month this March, here are 15 movies you can watch on Netflix right now with strong female lead characters.

Sex and the City: The Movie

The strong female friendships between the characters of Sex and the City: The Movie are on full display as they navigate life’s challenges. An absolute must-watch.

What a Girl Wants

Amanda Bynes plays Daphne in this 2003 rom-com. In search of her father she’s never met, Daphne finds that he is a prominent politician in another country.

She’s Gotta Have It

In this 1986 romantic comedy directed by Spike Lee, Nola Darling (played by Tracy Camilla Johns) decides to date three different men at once, as she can’t make up her mind about what she wants in a man.

Julie and Julia

Amy Adams and Meryl Streep star in this feel-good movie that follows the career of Julia Child (played by Streep) and the life of writer Julie (played by Adams) who cooks her way through all of the recipes in Child’s famous cookbook.

Malcolm and Marie

Zendaya stars in this drama with John David Washington, the two playing a couple dealing with the complicated nature of their evolving relationship.

Enola Holmes

Millie Bobby Brown, best known for her role as Eleven in Netflix’s Stranger Things, plays Enola Holmes in this mystery-adventure film. Enola searches for her mother after she disappears and develops her detective skills.

Dumplin’

Jennifer Aniston and Danielle Macdonald play mother and daughter in this coming of age comedy movie. Aniston is an ex-pageant queen, while Macdonald has always been somewhat of an outsider. Macdonald eventually decides to enlist in the local beauty pageant run by her mother.

Lady Bird

In this comedy-drama movie, a working mother (Laurie Metcalf) struggles to keep her family afloat after her husband loses his job. She also works through her difficult relationship with her teenage daughter (Saoirse Ronan). 

The Incredible Jessica James

This romantic comedy tells the story of Jessica James navigating her life and playwriting career after a break-up. A relationship begins to blossom between Jessica (played by Jessica Williams) and app designer Boone, who is recently divorced.

Lost Girls

Based on the book Lost Girls by Robert Kolker, the movie follows the true story of a mother who is determined to find her missing daughter. Her investigation leads the police to uncover a series of unsolved murders of sex workers.

Eat Pray Love

Eat Pray Love stars Julia Roberts and is all about self-discovery. The movie is based on Elizabeth Gilbert’s memoir Eat Pray Love which discusses how to find love after being divorced.

Otherhood

This comedy tells the story of three suburban mothers who, after feeling forgotten on Mother’s Day, drive to New York City to reconnect with their adult sons. Patricia Arquette, Angela Bassett, and Felicity Huffman play the moms who show up at their grown sons’ apartments unannounced.

Tallulah

Elliot Page and Allison Janney star in this drama about a young woman who kidnaps a baby from an abusive and irresponsible mother. Pretending the baby is her own, she seeks help from the mother of an ex-boyfriend.

Marriage Story

Marriage Story stars Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver as a couple whose marriage falls apart when Johannson’s character takes on a new job and relocates with their son. Warning: This movie is likely to give you a good cry.

3 Generations

This family drama film tells the story of teenager Ray (Elle Fanning), who transitions from female to male. Ray looks for support from his mother and grandmother, played by Naomi Watts and Susan Sarandon. 

Daisy Tuller

Northeastern '24

Studying Design & Business at Northeastern University