10 Ways to Say “I Love You” Through Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Love is in the air, and there is no better time to express your admiration for the special people in your life. While those classic three words are a timeless way to convey affection, there is another form of language that may say more than conversation: music. As the soundtrack to our lives, song lyrics contain some of the most profound and unconventional ways to put words to emotion, turning moments into melodies. Whether you are looking for a heartfelt declaration for your partner or a way to express your appreciation for your platonic soulmate, we’ve got you covered. When words fall short, let music do the talking during this year’s season of love. Here are 10 beautiful ways to say “I love you” through my favorite love language, song.

1. “Work Song” by Hozier

When my time comes around

Lay me gently in the cold, dark earth

No grave can hold my body down

I’ll crawl home to her

Hozier has a unique way with words, and this song from his debut album is a testament to that. These lyrics transcend beyond mere affection as he describes a devotion to his partner so intense that not even death could keep him from her. His lack of concern for what the afterlife holds conveys a sense of certainty and security in his relationship; he is confident that she is the one constant. “Work Song” beautifully depicts eternal connection and a love strong enough to overcome even the most permanent of endings.

1. “You Are In Love” by Taylor Swift

‘Cause you can hear in the silence

You can feel it on the way home

You can see it with the lights out

You are in love, true love

Taylor Swift is the queen of love songs, but this track strikes a special chord with fans and non-Swifties alike for its profound portrayal of the experience of falling in love. While the entire song could be used to say “I love you,” the chorus poetically captures how love is all around us, found at every turn. She contradicts herself through her analogies; you can’t see when it is dark, and you can’t hear when it is silent. This depiction of love emphasizes its inexplicable nature, something so complex yet unavoidable. Swift ends with a concise yet explicit declaration, capturing her decisiveness, and emphasizing that when you know, you know.

1. “True Blue” by boygenius

And it feels good to be known so well

I can’t hide from you like I hide from myself

I remember who I am when I’m with you

Your love is tough, your love is tried and true blue

I consider “True Blue” to be one of the most accurate portrayals of platonic love. In my eyes, this song captures the beauty of true friendship, one where someone else knows you better than even you know yourself. The members of boygenius masterfully put into words the sense of relief that accompanies feeling understood. Their lyrics call to mind that special person to whom you are inextricably bound. You can be your most authentic self around them, and without them, there is no you. This ode to loyalty expresses appreciation for a bond that you can always depend upon, which is love in its purest form. 

1. “Everywhere, Everything” by Noah Kahan

Everywhere, everything

I wanna love you ’til we’re food for the worms to eat

‘Til our fingers decompose

Keep my hand in yours

There are few things more romantic than a lifelong commitment to your partner. These lyrics signify a vow to love one’s partner endlessly, maintaining the affection gesture of hand-holding even after death. Kahan resigns himself to acceptance, holding firm that even after their physical time on Earth ends, the love he shares with his partner will persist. 

1. “Feathered Indians” by Tyler Childers

I said, “Many folks have warned me

There’s been several people try

But up ’til now, there ain’t been nothing

That I couldn’t leave behind”

This take on love juxtaposes the classic declaration of love found in a willingness to sacrifice your life for your partner. Instead, Childers’ connection to his lover gives him a newfound inclination to stay alive. In the context of this excerpt, he explains how he has been educated on the dangers of smoking countless times, but warnings don’t hold weight if you have no concern for staying alive. Now, he expresses how love has changed his perspective and given his life meaning. His partner is reason enough to stop his carelessness because he has something that he can’t fathom leaving.

1. “La Vie En Rose” by Édith Piaf

And when you speak

Angels sing from above

Everyday words seem

To turn into love songs

Give your heart and soul to me

And life will always be la vie en rose

This classic has been covered countless times, and for good reason. The literal translation of the title is “life in pink,” signifying seeing life through rose-colored glasses. This expression speaks to viewing life from a more positive, vibrant standpoint after falling in love. The beauty in regular, everyday happenings that previously went unnoticed now stands out due to the “spell” that has been cast on the artist. Piath describes reaching such a state of euphoria and fulfillment that the world feels more colorful. Her lover has changed her attitude and outlook for the better.

1. “Nothing” by Bruno Major

We’re not making out on a boat in the rain

Or in a house I painted blue

But there’s nothing like doing nothing with you

While many love songs contain grandiose declarations of affection, Bruno Major’s take on love stands out to me for its smaller-scale, relatable lyrics. “Nothing” centers on cherishing even the most mundane of moments with the person you love. Though picturesque, straight-out-of-a-movie moments are special, the reality of a relationship is much more simple, and that in itself is beautiful. Major communicates his love by suggesting that there is no time better spent than just existing in his lover’s presence. No grand gesture is needed, just being with her is enough. There is love found in every activity with the right person.

1. “Halley’s Comet” by Billie Eilish

Halley’s Comet

Comes around more than I do

But you’re all it takes for me to break a promise

Silly me to fall in love with you

Have you ever caught feelings for someone regardless of your reluctance to do so? Within both the title and the lyrics of the song, Billie Eilish references Halley’s Comet, a comet only visible from Earth every 75-76 years, as a metaphor for her stubbornness. Despite her typical resistance to change, Eilish is defenseless to falling for her love interest, a circumstance so rare that it is comparable to a comet seen only once in a lifetime. An irresistible attraction, her feelings are so intense that she has no choice but to give in to them.

1. “Sarah’s Place” by Zach Bryan (feat. Noah Kahan)

Don’t come back, lover, I’m proud you’re under the skyline

We always knew you were the better half of our good times

Those backyard lights don’t shine as bright without your face

A more dismal take, this song focuses on reminiscing about a past lover, contrasting with the more pleasant undertone of the rest of the list. “Sarah’s Place” depicts a bittersweet love, as the artist supports his old flame in her pursuit of her dreams while acknowledging the emptiness left in her absence. Bryan and Kahan capture the essence of love through their lyrics, which is to want the best for your partner, even if that means letting them go. 

1. “Timeless” by Taylor Swift

‘Cause I believe that we were supposed to find this

So even in a different life

You still would’ve been mine

We would’ve been timeless

A song that never fails to bring tears to my eyes, “Timeless” toys with the concept of fate as Swift envisions her relationship with her lover throughout history. A beautiful willingness to love unconditionally is described, so that even in situations where it is nearly impossible to exist, their connection would emerge and persist. Ultimately, the lyrics speak of a love so intense that it is considered destiny. Her certainty that they would end up together in every lifetime expresses her confidence that her lover is her soulmate.

For more of HC NU’s favorite love songs, check out this playlist!

Taylor Zinnie

Northeastern '27

Taylor Zinnie is a first year studying criminal justice and psychology at Northeastern University. While she is originally from New Jersey, she loves city life in Boston and explores new spots whenever possible. Outside of writing, she enjoys making Spotify playlists, thrifting, and taking excessively long naps. Taylor is passionate about LGBTQ+ rights, mental health, as well as all forms of social justice advocacy.