10 Ways to Stay on Track This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It can be hard balancing school with all the other activities going on in your life. Here are some tips to help you keep track of all your engagements and make the most of this semester!

1. Get a calendar

Having a well planned-out schedule, where you know the dates and deadlines for everything that needs to be done, will definitely help you achieve your goals. Picking up a cute and organized planner will help you remember to write down deadlines, important dates, things to do and will keep you focused overall!

2. Stationary 

Nothing screams organization like lots of useful stationary, be it highlighters, colored pens or post-it notes! These will really help keep your thoughts in order and ensure that everything you’ve learned stays structured. To help you identify important information, use brighter colors that stand out! 

3. Go to office hours

Professors are there to guide you; this is their job! Don’t be afraid to go to your professor’s office as it gives them a chance to know you on a personal level. This will also be beneficial later, when you start need references for your future jobs!

4. Stay on top of classes

Start learning the content you don’t understand from the beginning. Stop delaying until right before tests or exams! This will save you all the stress and pressure of trying to keep up with everything at the very end!

5. Try to wake up early every morning

There is scientific proof that says waking up early in the morning can help you stay more productive throughout the day. Plus, new content you learn early in the morning will stay longer in your mind as you are more likely to remember what you learned when you aren’t sleep-deprived.

6. Don’t be afraid of the library

The library can be intimidating during midterm and finals season, but making going to the library a habit can help you stay on task. It is very easy to get distracted or procrastinate in the comfort of your own room. Keeping yourself focused in the library will ensure that you have completed everything that needs to be done for the day before you go home to relax.

7. Be healthy

Cravings can be dangerous when you are stressed; if you eat right, your mind and body will be thankful. Staying healthy throughout the semester can keep you motivated, especially when the pressure to stay on task becomes challenging. Eating lots of fruits and vegetables revitalizes the mind and body and keeps your brain nourished. Meal-prepping is a great way to avoid spending extra money and eating junk!

8. Give yourself some free time

Binge Netflix, go out with friends, bake a cake, put on a face mask – give yourself time away from homework, assignments and projects. Studying is important, but so is your mental health. Always remember: work hard, play harder. Never ignore your education, but never stress yourself over something that does not need to be stressing. College is a once in a lifetime experience, so take advantage of these four years and have the time of your life!

9. BREATHE!!

Do not overstress under any circumstance. Breakdowns, paranoia, anxiety and many more issues always seem to arise in students who feel like one bad grade means that it’s the end of the world. However, you have to realize that the world doesn’t end because of one poor letter; you move on, you work harder and you never give up. There is so much more to life than grades and GPAs so don’t fret over the little things. Increase your knowledge with qualitative education and also remember to breathe. Just because you scored badly in that one test does not mean your world is over.

10. Stay up to date with Her Campus at Northeastern

Of course, if you ever feel like you’re getting frustrated with assignments, take a breather and jump onto Her Campus to stay up to date with all our posts and articles and see what’s happening at Northeastern and around the world! (#ShamelessPlug)

Rehab Asif

Northeastern '20

Hi, My name is Rehab and I'm a junior at Northeastern University! I'm a Media and Screen Studies major with a minor in Experience Design. Live, Love & Laugh is the motto I always preach!
Xandie Kuenning is the Career Editor at Her Campus and a graduate of Northeastern University with a Bachelor's in International Affairs and minors in Journalism and Psychology. She is an avid traveler with a goal to join the Travelers' Century Club. When not gallivanting around the world, she can be found reading about fairytales or Eurasian politics, baking up a storm, or watching dangerous amounts of Netflix. Follow her on Instagram @AKing1917 and on Twitter @XKuenning.