Cameron Smith-City Skyline Detroit Michigan Girl Overalls Street Buildings Skyscrapers 1
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

10 Free Sightseeing Spots in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

If you’re as obsessed with sightseeing as I am, you know that it’s a bit of a pricey hobby. Museums, skyscraper observatories, and parks- all generate costs that can add up quickly! Add in the fact that Boston is the fourth most expensive city in the United States (according to Investopedia) and it seems nearly impossible to go sightseeing for free. But that’s not true! Here are ten free sightseeing spots in Boston!

Downtown Crossing

Downtown Crossing (Orange Line T-Stop) is an area in Boston that offers a variety of shopping complexes, diverse cuisines of food, and — best of all — the Boston city skyline. This photogenic Boston destination is always packed with people and captures the true essence of being in a big city.

Faneuil Hall Marketplace

An always fun fall and summer location, Faneuil Hall Marketplace offers a plethora of unique shopping, dining, and activities in the historic part of Boston. If you’re in the mood for a fun activity with friends on a warm summer day, Faneuil Hall is the way to go!

Charles River Esplanade

One of Boston’s most famous, if not the most famous tourist attractions is the Charles River. The Charles River Esplanade is a scenic path along the river where tourists can take photos, look at the entire city, and immerse themselves in peace and quiet in a big, bustling city.

The Prudential Center and Christian Science Plaza

The Prudential Center and Christian Science Plaza, a stone’s throw away from Northeastern’s Boston campus, is probably the most convenient and accessible tourist destination for a Northeastern student. Located at the intersection of Massachusetts Ave. and Huntington Ave., this plaza features the newly completed reflecting pool. The serene environment with a picturesque view of the city skyline makes this a perfect tourist spot to capture that artsy Instagram picture.

Boston Common

The “Central Park” equivalent of Boston, Boston Common is a gorgeous natural oasis in the city. Make sure to stop by the Boston Common during autumn; Boston fall is gorgeous and the Boston Common is the perfect place to see the leaves change colors.

Acorn Street

Little-known fact: Acorn Street is the most photographed street in Boston. This historical cobblestone street is the cutest little alleyway in Boston. Tons of people gather here daily to get photos at the iconic Acorn Street. Golden hour, anyone?

Seaport Boston

Seaport Boston is the area where the historic aspect of the city clashes with the modern aspect of the city. The Boston Tea Party occurred at this very harbor and in the background of the scenic view of the water, you can see an array of contemporary skyscrapers. The Boston Harbor offers a wide variety of river cruises – from cocktail cruises to dinner cruises.

Boston Public Market

This indoor and outdoor farmer’s market offers something for everyone. The year-round market is home to vendors of all different backgrounds – food, clothing, soaps, you name it! This market is one of the newer farmer’s markets in Boston, and definitely one of the most successful. Check it out to see why!

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

The Museum of Fine Arts, or as Boston natives call it the MFA, is too good to be true. A mere five-minute walk from Northeastern’s campus, this museum is free to Northeastern students! Exhibits are constantly renovated and swapped out to promote both local and historic art. Nothing is better than getting lost in the MFA, surrounded by centuries’ worth of beautiful sculptures and paintings.

Copley Square + Newbury Street

Copley Square, another Boston location that has something for everyone, offers shopping, fine dining and fast food, and many free sightseeing spots for people. Copley Square also hosts the best farmer’s market in Boston twice a week! Right next to Copley Square is Newbury Street, a long stretch of shopping and dining, where everyone can find something they love.

And there you have it – ten free sightseeing spots in Boston!

Ritika Iyer

Northeastern '24

Ritika is from Seattle, Washington and currently attends Northeastern University, pursuing an architecture degree. When she's not in studio, she loves exploring coffee shops in the area, tweeting for Her Campus NU, bullet journaling, watching Jeopardy!, and sightseeing around Boston.