Life > Experiences

10 Feminist Rom-Coms for Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

If you’re in need of a good rom-com for your Galentine’s Day party, look no further. These rom-coms are funny, heartwarming and loaded with girl power.

1. 10 Things I Hate About You

Kat Stratford hated men before it was trendy, and we love her for it.

2. The Incredible Jessica James

Jessica James is a smart, driven woman who knows what she wants and isn’t afraid to ask for it.

3. Legally Blonde

It’s not a feminist rom-com roundup with Legally Blonde. Elle Woods is the ultimate icon.

4. Easy A

Easy A has a great sex-positive message and features Penn Badgley in his least creepy character to date.

5. She’s the Man

Going undercover as a boy to play soccer is majorly impressive and we’re into it.

6. Miss Congeniality

Now that we all know Sandra Bullock is a queen (hello, Bird Box), let’s appreciate her earlier work! Miss Congeniality is funny and smart.

7. Pretty Woman

👏 Thank 👏 you 👏 Pretty 👏 Woman 👏 for 👏 normalizing 👏 sex👏 work!

8. Clueless

Clueless is really about using your privilege for good. Cher wants to help people and, usually, does a good job at it!

9. The Devil Wears Prada

Miranda Priestly may be the devil incarnate, but she’s a high-powered #ladyboss and we’re into it.

10. A Cinderella Story

Sam takes control of her own life and is super successful. Plus, Rhonda is my childhood feminist icon.

Deanna Schwartz

Northeastern '22

Deanna is a first-year journalism major at Northeastern University from Maryland. She spent her first semester studying abroad in Italy and travelling around Europe. She loves books, feminism, musical theatre, the color pink, dogs, and travelling.