Lizzo at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Lizzo at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

From hearing that she’s 100 percent that chick and that she’s feeling good as hell, Lizzo is one of the most influential women in today’s media that embodies empowerment.

Melissa Viviane Jefferson (a.k.a. Lizzo) was born on April 27, 1988, in Detroit, Michigan. She started performing in Texas and progressed her singing career in Minneapolis. Eventually, she signed with Nice Life and Atlantic Records and released two albums in 2013 and 2015. What became a “viral sleeper hit” that boosted her fame was “Truth Hurts” which won her the Record of the Year and Best New Artist. In addition to her musical achievements, she also appeared in films such as Hustlers and UglyDolls.

So, what makes her empowering and influential if she does what most artists do? She embraces self-love and confidence when it comes to body image.

Growing up as a “bigger girl” was no fun for me. I always felt insecure and hated my size in my teens and even into college. I’m still not satisfied with my body, but I learned to love it. Because of her songs, “Juice” and “Water Me”, Lizzo taught me that I should love every curve and stretch mark that makes me who I am. She also taught me that everyone is beautiful even if it isn’t felt. It’s a different type of journey to love yourself.

As we get older, we learn a lot about ourselves and change. Lizzo says to “love yourself at all stages in your life”. We’re all human and feel different about ourselves every day. She also says that she “had to unlearn a lot of things” about unrealistic body expectations in order to be confident. This is why Lizzo matters.

With social media setting body image norms, Lizzo makes her voice louder and clearer. Loving your own natural shape and size matters more than creating one in your head. Comments and negativity will always remain, so all that matters is what you think of it.

Brianna Ponce is a film major/journalism minor. She's either on set, in a newsroom, or broadcasting college sports. When she's not writing, she's probably watching horror films.
Senior at New Mexico State University that's majoring in Psychology with two minors in Spanish and Journalism. I spend too much time shopping, watching TV shows, listening to podcasts about breakups, spoiling my cat Juno, photographing every detail of my life and scrolling through TikTok. Writing is my thing and I hope it makes you laugh, feel understood, or is helpful to you.