This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Thanksgiving break is here and winter break is right around the corner, and I already know what I am looking forward to the most… eating the great food, family, and catching up on the latest tv shows. I am going to write up a list of some short TV shows to watch on Netflix so that you are not spending all break mindlessly browsing for a good show. Note: the shows that I will be recommending will be on the shorter side because it’s hard to finish a long series in one break. 

1. Atypical 

Three seasons, 10 episodes per season, and 30-minute episodes. This show is about a guy who is Autistic, he goes through the ups and downs of adolescence alongside his younger sister. At some point in the show he graduates high school, so he is trying to keep up with college. And his younger sister is struggling with her sexuality (that may or may not have been a spoiler, if so, sorry). This show is a very emotional one for me, I love it. 

1. Santa Clarita Diet

There are three seasons, 10 episodes per season and each episode is about 30 minutes long. This one is bittersweet. Unfortunately, this show got canceled so the third season ends on a cliff hanger but trust me, it’s worth the watch. This show is definitely not for everyone, its gross (lots of puke) and it has weird comic relief, but Drew Barrymore makes it what it is: hilarious and fun. It is about a Real Estate woman that suddenly turns into a zombie, throughout the show her husband is helping her try to find a cure and a reason as to why this happened to her. 

1. On My Block 

Two seasons (a third one is coming), 10 episodes per season, and each episode is about 30 minutes long. When my brother told me to watch this show I said a firm no. I was just starting college and this show starts with the main characters leaving middle school so I thought that why would I find it funny and/or relatable but I am glad I finally gave it a chance. I am always laughing when I am watching this show. It’s about four teenagers growing up on the dangerous side of Los Angeles and how their friendship is being tested by starting high school. Mini spoiler alert (sorry I can’t help it): I cried my eyes out at the end of the first season. 

1. Sex Education 

One season (second coming), 8 episodes, 50 minutes each episode. The main character is a teenager in high school who hasn’t had his sexual awakening and is trying to, his mom is a sex therapist, so his best friend finds that comical. The girl the guy likes convinces him to give out sex advice to their peers for money because everyone in that school is apparently clueless about anything related to sex (I don’t blame them; sex education is important but not taught very often). 

1. Elite 

Two seasons, about 8 episodes per season, 45 minutes long per episode. This one is a bit on the scandalous side. I call it the Spanish version of Gossip Girl mixed with Pretty Little Liars. If that description didn’t make you intrigued, I don’t know what will. The show is from Spain, so they have that wonderful Spanish accent that I love to hear. The plot is in the first season, three teenagers with scholarships start a private school, a lot of drama arises due to this, oh and a murder! Marina is killed and throughout the season they are showing what lead to her death, until the last episode where the murderer is revealed. 

Senior at New Mexico State University that's majoring in Psychology with two minors in Spanish and Journalism. I spend too much time shopping, watching TV shows, listening to podcasts about breakups, spoiling my cat Juno, photographing every detail of my life and scrolling through TikTok. Writing is my thing and I hope it makes you laugh, feel understood, or is helpful to you.
International Business and French double major fascinated by story telling and poodles!