This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Over the years communication has become easier and easier, and as technology has developed so has social media. One of the most popular social media platforms is Instagram, which acts like a combination of Facebook and Snapchat and is often associated with maintaining a certain aesthetic.

Instagram is used by a majority of people to share high quality photos for their feed, post pictures on their story, and maintaining an aesthetic and brand. This can be done in multiple ways but one that can be considered fun and calming while still looking great is creating story aesthetics. This is commonly seen as formatting pictures, adding gifs and stickers, and making everything look nice in general. While this may sound complicated story aesthetics are simple to make.

One of the best ways to maintain an Instagram aesthetic is by creating stories with decorations, similar to scrap booking. By adding small details to your story, you can dramatically increase the quality of brand. Here are some of the best ways to increase your story aesthetic.

Add a caption, as captivating as pictures can be, they can only hold your attention for so long. If this happens to you a great solution is to add captions. Something simple but still worth reading. Let’s say you just got a new roommate and you want to remember the moment by posting on your story. A simple picture won’t suffice, so try adding a caption. One of the best examples would be using “and they we’re roommates” as your caption.

Another way to help your aesthetic is to mix up the fonts, especially when you add a caption. Instagram has multiple options for adding all types gifs and other details. To improve the details within your story. By mixing up fonts you can increase the time people spend looking at your story. However, using the wrong fonts can actually hurt the final project. A good practice when mixing fonts is to pay attention to the style. If you plan to use a font with skinny and tall letters a great option to pear it with would be something short and cursive or curved. Maybe you want to give your words a three-dimensional affect. Instagram offers a variety of fonts and with the simple tap of a button you can add different effects to your captions. For example, Instagram will add a layered effect to the words and you won’t have to waste time adding those details yourself.

Finally if you want to combine your aesthetic and add some of your favorite songs you can add some music. This can also be helpful when you have a picture and want to capture a vibe.  If you’re like me you love looking taking pictures of the sun set. Watching the sunset can be relaxing, but how do you get people to feel that vibe without using a caption or any small details. The answer is simple, add a song you think matches the vibe perfectly. Not only is this a simple way of making a aesthetic post but it can help build your brand.

With these steps in mind, you can create aesthetic Instagram stories. Adding your own details and things you enjoy will help maintain your brand along with improve the overall look of your story. Although it might get some getting used to it, you can always look for inspiration and add your own style to it.

Hello! I'm Dolores, my pronouns are she/her, and I am a first year student at New Mexico State University. Some of my favorite hobbies are embroidery, photography, and making playlist. I enjoy writing articles that reflect my hobbies and other things I find interesting. I hope you enjoy my articles!