This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

There’s no doubt that Netflix has a lot of titles on its platform. While some may not be as well known as others there is always something to watch. Just like there’s always something to watch, for actors, there is always an opportunity to act. One of Netflix’s most popular titles is the show “Daybreak”; not only did it reach a wide audience but it gave local Las Cruces actor Josh Horton a part in something that would make him recognizable and teach him useful skills for the acting industry. 

Horton is from Las Cruces, New Mexico, and is an alumnus of New Mexico State University. At an early age, Horton found a passion for acting. Horton says “acting is something that found him” and after his first role in Macbeth at 12 years old, Horton decided to pursue a career in acting.

Although most people see acting as a risky career, Horton is willing to take the risk. “The passion and love I have for acting makes the insecurities and unsureness worth it” Horton says. 

Let’s face it, the job and life of an actor are often idealized. While fame and fortune may sound appealing, there are certain aspects of being an actor that makes acting sound less fun. Getting bad reviews, not being in the proper headspace, and feeling like a small fish in a giant ocean is definitely not something we would want to experience as an actor. However, Horton has experienced those things and still continues to persevere. 

After its release on Netflix, “Daybreak” received an unappealing score by Rotten Tomatoes. Horton didn’t let this discourage him though. He continues to look for projects and tends not to worry about the reviews those projects receive. Horton explains that, although the bad reviews don’t bother him because he has a small role, that doesn’t stop him from giving it his all. In fact, Horton has often advised other actors that “whatever you’re in, treat it like a job”.

While it’s great to give anything one-hundred and ten percent effort, it can often lead to burnout. As an actor it’s important to know how to recover from burnout and losing the proper headspace for acting. Horton says that to him “acting is a spiritual process”, and from his years in acting he has picked up ways to recover when he feels like he has lost the proper headspace or feels burned out. For example, Horton will often listen to music as he goes over lines to prepare to act. In his words “preparation equals confidence”.

With a Netflix studio located in Albuquerque, NM., Josh has been able to see his home state from a different perspective. Whenever you say you’re an actor a majority of people will assume you’re from Los Angeles. However, that isn’t the case for all actors. Horton is from Las Cruces, NM. While filling “Daybreak” Horton was placed into an interesting situation. Not only was he able to work with the people he loves around him, but he was also able to visit his old high school. With being able to go back he was able to realize he went from being a local talent to moving to a bigger scale. He says it was like being a fish in the ocean instead of being a big fish in a small pond. Being in the acting industry, Horton tries to represent Las Cruces with integrity and pride. 

Most people think being an actor is a risky business. Although there are times when you won’t know when your next project will be or whether or not you’ll be able to pay rent, you have to give it your all no matter what. Horton, actor and NMSU alumni, has been acting since he was twelve years old. Throughout his career Horton has been able to learn many useful tips like how to get in the proper headspace, not letting bad reviews get to you, and how to properly represent your city as a small actor. 

Hello! I'm Dolores, my pronouns are she/her, and I am a first year student at New Mexico State University. Some of my favorite hobbies are embroidery, photography, and making playlist. I enjoy writing articles that reflect my hobbies and other things I find interesting. I hope you enjoy my articles!