This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is the holiday to share love with hearts, cards and food. My favorite Valentine gift is always food; specifically, chocolates and gummies. In 2018, Starbucks has released their own Valentine’s Day treats and drinks. The treats and drinks are perfect to share with a sweetheart or keep for yourself. Below is a list of what I have tasted and my impressions.  

• Confetti Hearts Cake Pop

Creamy chocolate cake mixed with buttercream frosting, dipped in dark chocolate glaze and sprinkled with red, pink and white heart-shaped candies. If you love chocolate, then you will love this cake pop. The layers of chocolate popped in my mouth along with the crunchy candies. I finished the cake pop in two to three bites. 150 Calories left no guilt of indulging myself.

• Chocolate Duo: Milk Chocolate and Dark Chocolate

Anyone who tries this transparent box of heart-shaped chocolates will receive not only one flavor, but two flavors. I found a small hint of cherry in both flavors. Both hearts had richness in every bite. The duo is perfect for chocolate lovers who cannot decide which flavor of chocolate they prefer. Share with a sweetheart or keep for yourself.

• Peach Gummy Candy

The bright, eye-catching colors of the box of gummies caught my attention while waiting in line to order drinks. Upon further inspection, the bright orange hearts and name led me to wanting to try. As a fan of fruit-flavored candy, the gummies did not disappoint. The sugar-covered hearts burst with the peach flavor in every bite. Be careful not to eat every piece at once!  

“Our cherry treat-inspired Frappuccino® Blended Beverage blends Frappuccino® Roast coffee, milk, ice and cherry flavored syrup. Topped with whipped cream and cocoa Valentine sprinkles, it’s love at every sip.” This special Frappuccino had the perfect combination of coffee, milk, ice and syrup. The cherry syrup and coffee did not overpower each other. While drinking the Frappuccino, I felt like I was drinking ice cream, delicious! I wish this Frappuccino was served year-round. 

“Espresso with bittersweet mocha sauce, dark cherry flavored syrup and steamed milk. Topped with sweetened whipped cream.”  Latte with iced or hot option. This Latte was too rich and sweet for me. I had difficulty finishing the Grande size. If I order this drink again, I would have the Tall size.

This heart-shaped, “rich, buttery sugar cookie” is available in either pink or white. Regardless of color preference, each cookie is sprinkled with multiple bright colors. One cookie fulfils my sweet tooth. The cookie is almost too pretty to eat. I personally prefer the pink cookie appearance wise.

Can’t decide which treat or drink to try first? Do you want to try everything, but are low on finances? Not to worry! Ask your sweetheart for a colorful and beautiful Starbucks gift card for Valentine’s Day. The greetings card provides a gift card to give to that special someone. Receiving a twenty-dollar gift card with a beautiful greeting card will make any foodie’s holiday special. Twenty dollars will cover every Valentine drink and treat. The way to many people’s hearts is through their stomach.

All of the Starbucks Valentine’s Day specials have sweetened my teeth and heart. I look forward to Starbucks’ specials for St. Patrick’s Day, Easter and spring. I am curious what foods and drinks the company will create for Valentine’s Day 2019. I believe that art and creativity go beyond the canvas; food is a successful, universal and delicious medium.

Photo Credit: Eleni Philippou

Written by: Eleni Philippou 

I am a Graduate student at New Mexico State University (NMSU) majoring in Rhetoric and Professional Communication.  I have a Bachelors in Women's Studies and a minor in English from NMSU. 
Student at NMSU, Im an anthropology major. Learning about different cultures, immersing in their traditions and learning new languages fascinates me. Im a food enthusiast, I love to travel and have an intense passion for corgis.