Underrated Halloween Movies to Get You Into the Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Halloween is officially right around the corner, and even though it may be canceled, there’s no reason you still can’t get into the spirit with some quality entertainment. I am here to show you some spooky Halloween appropriate movies that you may not have heard about. I just find that not many people have seen these movies even though they are absolutely fantastic and cult-classic worthy. 

Ginger Snaps (2000)

I have been telling people to watch this movie for years, and it is now finally starting to get the recognition that it deserves. No movie captures femenine rage like this one does. Watch as Ginger and her sister try to deal with the fact that Ginger is now turning into a werewolf. These sisters, who are obsessed with death and all that is grim, are so compelling to watch. This is a definite feminist horror movie that is all about the power of sisterhood. It’s one of my personal favorites, so go give it some love. 

Jennifer’s Body (2009)

Another feminist horror movie that was terribly overlooked because of terrible marketing and is now a loved cult classic. We all seriously owe Megan Fox an apology because she is so great in this, and no one knew because we were too busy sexulising her in 2009. This movie is so well thought out and compelling that I will never stop singing its praises. The writing is so good, and this movie is as quotable as Mean Girls (just trust me). This is a story of female lust and revenge, and it is just so good. 

Clown (2014)

First of all, this movie scared my socks off, so it’s obviously the perfect time of year to watch it. The story is that a man rents a clown costume for a birthday party, but finds himself unable to remove it because it is slowly turning him into an actual demon that eats children. This movie is absolutely wild, but the scares make it worth the watch. It is absolutely perfect for when you want to be terrified since there are no haunted houses this year. 

Fright Night (1985 and 2011)

So this was a movie that came out in 1985 and was remade in 2011. Both versions of this movie, old and new, are really good. The old one is refreshingly original and the new one is a great adaptation with some good twists. When a mysteriously handsome man moves into the neighborhood, and women start to go missing it’s up to Charley to find out what’s really going on. This is a terrifying and fun adventure that’ll have you on the edge of your seat. Both the old and new versions of this movie are highly recommended. 

Green Room (2015)

Being held hostage in a murderous Nazi bar is no one’s idea of a good time, but it is the premise of this movie. Watching this movie is a very intense and terrifying experience. You are constantly holding your breath and you rarely get a chance to breathe, but that’s what makes it so good. This indie film is criminally underrated despite its stellar cast, originality, and great critical reviews. Just do yourself a favor and watch it.

Hopefully this list gave some new things to watch this Halloween. Stay safe out there. Now go forth, binge, and get scared. 

Raised in El Paso, TX, an avid feminist that loves her dog and the written word.
An Art History major with a minor in Museum Conservation. Interested in Photography, Art History, Art Law and travel.