TV Binging at its Best: 7 Shows to get You Through the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

If there’s one thing that’s become a common place during this time, (this time being school or covid quarantine), it’s the ability to stay home and chill out on the coach and binge watch TV. But finding something to watch is never the fun part, it’s time consuming and boring. So here are some tv shows worth binging while procrastinating your homework or quarantining. 

Pushing Daisies: I’m not going to lie, I started watching this purely for the lead actor Lee Pace, but I ended up falling head over heels for the whole thing. This is a dark comedy based around the character Ned, a piemaker who has the ability to bring life back from the dead with one touch. This ensures for many situations of awkwardness and hilarity. Totally worth the watch. 

Watch it on: CW Seed- a free network available in both app and browser. 

Halt and Catch Fire: Okay, so this one also has Lee Pace in it, but I started it for the storyline. Halt and Catch Fire follows the story of the 1980’s computer race. It follows a visionary, a prodigy and an engineer and their story to create and build a computer, during a time when the technology was just being created. If you’re looking for a show that’s based on true events and is a well-done time period piece, this is the show for you. 

Watch it on: Netflix  

Down to Earth: This tv has made all Zac Efron fans swoon once again (including myself). Down to Earth follows Zac and a close friend of his all over the planet, where they learn about the culture, the people, and even the technologies of the land. Coupled with a dose of comedy, this show is a great time consumer. Not only does it take you to exotic places, something that just doesn’t seem possible right now, it also gives you shots of a shirtless Zac. I mean who wouldn’t want to see that. 

Watch it on: Netflix 

The Umbrella Academy: This show is, in my opinion, one of the best shows Netflix has produced thus far. This is another dark comedy but unlike Pushing Daisies, has a bit more action and angst to it. The show is not only based on the book by Gerard Way but is also produced by him. Gerard Way was the lead singer for the early 2000’s Hard Rock Band, My Chemical Romance. This show has all the right elements that keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end and leaves you wanting more. The show stars some well-known names like Tom Hopper (BBC Merlin) and Ellen Page (X-Men and Juno) as well as many new faces. This is a show for the history books. 

Watch it on: Netflix 

Ghost Nation: Many of us may remember the long running tv show Ghost Hunters, think of Ghost Nation as the next chapter in their story. This show follows lead investigators Jason Hawes, Dave Tango, Steve Gonsalves, and their search for paranormal entities in our world. This show is definitely much smaller in terms of the investigations the team takes on. They focus more on home investigations instead of larger locations, which allows them more time to explore and investigate. This show is a refresher from the large-scale paranormal shows. 

Watch it on: Travel Channel (available on app and browser) 

The Haunting of Hill House: I know I’m putting a lot of Netflix only shows on here, but in all honesty, they have some extremely good content. The Haunting of Hill House was all the talk about two years ago when it was first released. The show was dubbed as one of the scariest and had people freaking out. Well, me and my need to find a good horror series was interested and let me tell you it’s worth the watch. The show follows the alternating timelines of the past and present Crain family, who dealt with living in an extremely haunted house and how it’s effects are still making a mark on the family to present day. Worth the watch if you’re a horror fanatic or just looking for a good scare. Season two, The Haunting of Bly Manor, will premiere on October 9th. 

Watch it on: Netflix

Mr. Iglesias: Last but not least, is Mr. Iglesias, a comedy on Netflix featuring comedian Gabriel Iglesias. Iglesias stars as a high school teacher working as his alma mater. He portrays the high school teacher we all wished we had had when we were growing up. Iglesias brings a ton of comedy to the show and makes even it’s tougher and more realistic moments funny. If you’re looking for a good-hearted show that’ll make you laugh, this is it. 

Watch it on: Netflix 

Hope everyone can find something from this short list to watch. Happy binging!

I’m a Journalism and Media Communications major at NMSU with an emphasis in Public Relations and Journalistic Advertising. I am also a quadruple minor in Marketing, Advertising, Sports Marketing and HRTM. I’ve always considered myself a creative person with a lot to say and my career path gives me the chance to express that to the fullest extent. Like I always say: You have to love what you do to do it with any love.
An Art History major with a minor in Museum Conservation. Interested in Photography, Art History, Art Law and travel.