Staying Fresh for Fall: A Product Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Once I received this little green package in the Her Campus survival kit, I was ready to stuff about four pieces in my mouth. The Extra Refreshers gum delivered exactly what I expected and more. How does one judge gum quality, you wonder? Flavor and aesthetic is the way to go.

Possibly by placebo, or clever marketing by Wrigley’s, I do believe the gum was longer lasting than its competitors. A sharp burst of spearmint hits your tongue in the beginning and a strong flavor lasts even after one hour. Two hours later, it was definitely still there. There is not much to ask for from chewing gum, but in my opinion this got the job done well. Visually, I could assume that the container’s specs are also a marketing tactic. Subconsciously I would associate a a higher quality gum with a higher quality container. Holding the  plastic casing did make me believe I would have an enhanced gum experience. This was not any ordinary paper pack of gum, I knew it was “fancier” somehow. This is gum that you splurge on, gum that is worth that extra dollar fifty.

As I grabbed one at a time, I even noticed that this was not just an attempt at a knockoff version of Ice Breakers Ice Cubes gum. The rounded rectangular prism and misty color caught my attention. Wrigley’s Extra gum created a new aesthetic for geometric gum, covered in a light green shade, with icy white powder.

Personally, I would purchase this snack again, and plan on doing so very soon.

International Business and French double major fascinated by story telling and poodles!