This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

We are in the midst of the Halloween season which means it’s time for fun and frights. If you’re like me, the frights aren’t really your thing. If you are not into super scary horror movies, here are some not so scary films that can still get you in the Halloween spirit.

Available on Netflix

Coraline

This movie is dark and lovely all at the same time. The animation is beautiful and the voice cast does a remarkable job at capturing their characters. The biggest spooks come from the “other mother” who has some unique plans for our protagonist Coraline. Laika Studios has never failed to make some absolutely beautiful movies that capture the eye. From director Henry Selick, Coraline is both a lighthearted and dark adventure that will keep you entangled within it’s mystery.

Donnie Darko

This movie is a whirlwind of mystery. Donnie Darko, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, is a troubled teen who keeps seeing a man in a large rabbit suit who gets him to unconsciously commit mysterious crimes. This movie is wrapped up in a complex story that demands all of your attention. Enjoy all the mystery of Halloween with this creative and greatly executed tale.

Heathers

Teen angst and murder. What more could you want? This movie is strange, dark and hilarious. This cult classic from 1988 doesn’t scream Halloween, but it is so enjoyable. After Veronica Sawyer and her boyfriend J.D. stage the suicide of a girl in their highschool, life gets even crazier for the both of them. This is a great teen classic and a must watch.

Little Evil

This Netflix original movie captures the spooks of Halloween, but also a loving family story. Gary marries the love of his life, Samantha, whose son might also be the antichrist. This movie seems like it should be absolutely terrifying, but it is actually hilarious and surprisingly really sweet. This movie is not all that it seems to be and is definitely worth a watch. Adam Scott is so funny as our leading man learning how to bond with his plausibly demonic son and Evangeline Lilly is a dream as always.

Interview with a Vampire

This movie is mysterious and sexy. What else can you expect with a movie about vampires starring Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise? The drama is so intriguing and you just can’t help but love every second of it. Based on the novel by Anne Rice, this film is a bit of a guilty pleasure, but it is just so fun to watch. It’s great for a movie night with the girls or to watch while eating all that Halloween candy meant for the trick-or-treaters.

Available on Hulu:

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Let’s get one thing straight here. This movie is absolutely ridiculous. It is about murderous clowns that are also aliens. If there were ever a cult classic on this list, this movie is definitely it. This probably won’t scary you or give you nightmares but you will probably laugh your butt off. It is outrageously bad and entertaining. Great for a spooky laugh with your friends.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

You can’t ever go wrong with a classic. This film has been keeping Hot Topic in business since 1993 and for good reason. The animation is fantastic and so is the story. Produced by the brilliant mind of Tim Burton and direct by Henry Selick (see Coraline above), this movie is truly timeless and will never die. So many of you are probably already planning on watching it this Halloween, so those of you who aren’t, join the bandwagon.

American Psycho

This movie is not the most family-friendly on this list. It does contain some gruesome murders. It’s not so much scary as it is suspenseful and interesting. It is a very fascinating look at this sociopathic characters who has this deep need to kill people. It’s not as frightening as you may think though. It’s actually a really good character study and it’s more mysterious than anything. Christian Bale is fantastic and so is this film.

Available on Amazon Prime:

Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II

Who you gonna call? This movie is iconic to say the least. These are some comedy classics, just with some ghosts. If you haven’t seen these movies, I highly suggest that you change that. With an iconic theme song and an iconic cast, this movie cannot be missed. It will forever go down in comedy history.

Raised in El Paso, TX, an avid feminist that loves her dog and the written word.
International Business and French double major fascinated by story telling and poodles!