From Senior to Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Were you the ultra confident high school senior that strutted the halls in heels and owned the floors she walked on every morning? You could have been the high school senior that was Team Captain and lead her team to victory with grace and excitement. Or maybe you were the quieter high school senior that was simply just comfortable in the walls of a school you had grown to both love and loathe. Either way, most of us were finally comfortable and confident within the walls of our high schools by the time senior year hit. We were the hot shots. We were the ones with all the answers and experience. We were valued, and naturally took pride in it.

Then the new hit that we were about to go from being seniors to freshman, all over again. Going from being a middle school grad to a freshman in high school is a whole different shebang than going from being a high school grad to a college freshman. When the word ‘freshman’ is spoken, usually there are images of mean high school bullies shoving kids into lockers and stealing their lunch money for the sake of dominance. Depends what high school it is, but maybe those images are pretty accurate. Thank goodness being a college freshman is nothing like that.

Being a college freshman rocks. From being raided with free gifts from random organizations and boatloads of pizza and flyers, getting back to school ain’t so shabby. Opportunities for present and future success arrive every single day. New jobs, internships, clubs, fairs, etc., provide windows for every freshman to find something to get involved with that sparks passion in their eyes. Las Cruces is hot and school is challenging, but nothing beats walking to morning class with a slight breeze in your hair, the tingle that your cup of coffee left in your fingertips, and the lovely tune playing through the chords of your earbuds. Here’s to being freshman once again.