Life > Experiences

Places to Visit From Your Favorite Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

If you like to travel for fun, that’s great. If you like to travel and site see, then I might get you to keep reading. However, if you like to visit places that you’ve seen in Halloween movies, then this is the article you have been waiting to read. All things spooky and scary pertain mainly to the month of October, but traveling to famous locations in Halloween movies is something you can do year round. Here’s a list of places to visit from your favorite horror films if that’s something you’re into: 

1. The Warren’s Occult Museum in Monroe, Connecticut

Based on the Warren’s, The Conjuring franchise has really out done themselves from Annabelle to The Nun and so forth. Well, if you’re a fan of the franchise, then you should definitely look into visiting the actual museum where the couple has their souvenirs and keepsakes from their adventures and stories told throughout the films over the past years. In addition, the real life Annabelle doll isn’t close to the appearance of the ones in the films. The actual doll is a Raggedy Ann doll that is kept away in a case like the actual film.

1. The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado

Remember the seventies looking carpet in The Shining? The hotel is an actual place you could visit and stay in for a little over $300 a night. The hotel is also a few miles away from Rocky Mountain Park. If you don’t feel like staying the night and exploring mountains, you could also take a small tour if that peaks your interest.

1. “The Century House” in Pasadena, California

Halloween Kills just premiered and the notorious house of Michael Myers is a home you can actually stop by. Known as “landmark #34”, it’s now preserved as a piece of history for the state and for the sake of art.

1. Poltergeist House in Simi Valley, California

Another franchise from before the 2000s is Poltergeist. Some believe the franchise and home are cursed because of how eerie and suspicious the energy was during the filming and the set in general. A little outside of Los Angeles, the house is located on 4267 Roxbury Street.

1. The M Street Stairs in Washington, DC

Located in Georgetown, the stairs from The Exorcist are another historical landmark that you can visit and maybe take a campus tour if you’re down for both. Some fun facts about the film include how most believe the set and crew were cursed and how it affected audiences. A crew member passed on his way to help with the film and when the film premiered, most audiences were nauseated due to how explicit and gross it appeared affecting their mental health. 

Halloween or any horror movies are just fun and games in a different way. They’re not real and the only things that happen to be real are just the locations used. Safe travels if you end up exploring!

Brianna Ponce is a film major/journalism minor. She's either on set, in a newsroom, or broadcasting college sports. When she's not writing, she's probably watching horror films.