New Mexico Wanderlust: Las Cruces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Many wish to travel the world to learn new languages and to learn who they are by seeing new places. Yet, many of people don’t know that their wanderlust can begin in their own city or state. The city of Las Cruces has many things to offer and there are many places people can visit in the.

Las Cruces is a very rich place with a lot of history and beautiful sites to start exploring. It is sunny about a 98 percent of the time and it has many enjoyable activities for every type of explorer. Surrounded by the beautiful Organ Mountains , which is filled with trails for hikers and bicyclists, the nature in the area is completely captivating.

Las Cruces, also known as The City of the Crosses, is also filled with historic places such as the Mesilla Valley, a small town just five to ten minutes away from Las Cruces.  150 years ago, it was a major stop between San Antonio and San Diego. It still continues to have the 1800’s border town look and the infamous Billy the Kid once stood trail for murder at a courtroom in Mesilla. Part of this beautiful place is the Basilica of San Albino, a church originally built of Adobe in 1855, and today still offers mass in English and Spanish. Around the plaza during the weekends, vendors come and offer good food, arts and crafts, as well as music.  

Another area of Las Cruces, and a personal favorite of mine, is downtown Las Cruces. The area is filled with museums, arts and crafts stores, as well as Coas, a used book store. Every Wednesday and Saturday from 8:30a.m.  to 1:00p.m., there is a Farmer’s Market where local vendors come and offer their crafts. There is also great entertainment and food trucks in that area of Main Street. Downtown, is also the home of the Rio Grande Theater, where many have showcased new films or rediscovered history.

The city is also a great spot for wine tastings and great New Mexican cuisine, including our famous chili’s. There are many different types of food that can be experienced in this city but it doesn’t hurt to stick to New Mexican culture. With a rich cuisine of both Mexican and American roots, Las Cruces is a great place to start your adventure.

Don’t hesitate and begin your adventure here in Las Cruces, as you cruise around the state of New Mexico.

Photo Credits:

1, 2

Hi mes amies! I am an avid reader, lover of writing and good music. I am a Senior at NMSU, and soon graduate. I was born and raised in El Paso, TX. I hope to travel more of the world someday!
Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?