New Mexico Wanderlust: El Chaco Canyon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

This week, we will be taking a tour through one of the most important Native American sites that we have in New Mexico– El Chaco Canyon, home of the ancestral buildings of the Pueblo people!

El Chaco Canyon is filled with archeological sites, Native American history and amazing trails that you should never miss. If you are a fan of the wild west, definitely visit this place for more inspiration and to learn about the Native American tribes we have across New Mexico.

The canyon is quiet a drive from Las Cruces and is about three hours past Albuquerque. I definitely recommend taking a weekend off to visit but you will probably want to stay even longer just to try to see all the sites and do as many trails as possible.

During the 1800s, El Chaco became a very frequented area for trade between the different Native Americans of those regions that traveled North and South to different tribes. It was a very known and populated area that kept its productivity for about 300 years. Later as the years progressed it became an important ceremonial ground to commemorate important events. It became a sacred land for many tribes and for many people it still is.

This beautiful landmark should be at the top of your list of places to see in New Mexico, especially if you like the nature. It is absolutely beautiful to see and feel the importance of the sacred lands of the Pueblo tribe.

Enjoy your Spring Break, Aggies and be sure to check out the canyon during your break. Thanks for keeping up with my wanderlust!

Hi mes amies! I am an avid reader, lover of writing and good music. I am a Senior at NMSU, and soon graduate. I was born and raised in El Paso, TX. I hope to travel more of the world someday!
Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?