This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

The girl’s night romantic comedy is back and that is largely thanks to Netflix. We can now all cuddle up with our best girl friends and enjoy some quality romantic, situational comedy that we can all live vicariously through. These movies have all the classic tropes that we used to see in movies that have come and gone, and they are better than ever. The scheming and fake dating just makes these films all the more fun to watch.

With “Set It Up” and “To all the Boys I’ve Loved Before” Netflix has managed to release some genuinely good and charming romantic comedies. These movies have received positive feedback and plenty of fan excitement that has been prominent all over twitter. These movies are actually funny without being crude and the protagonists are so likable. Not everything on Netflix is gold, but there is something to be said about being able to make a good independent movie with good acting, good story, and have it be successful with minimal advertising and marketing. Netflix has somehow managed to get all of us talking about these movies and we all only hear about them from each other.  “The Kissing Booth” is objectively, not even that great, but it can still be enjoyable for how bad and campy it is. Movies like that and “A Christmas Prince” are no Oscar contenders, but they can still be tremendous amounts of fun and make for the best sleepover viewing parties.

As viewers, we really do not get movies like “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” at our nearest theater. “Crazy Rich Asians” seems to be doing just fine at the box office but before that there was “Love, Simon” which did a mediocre job in gaining some box office revenue. In a world where superhero movies and big budget franchises rule our big screens, it’s rare that we see something with a story so small in scale. Big studios just feel that the kind of movies that are sweet and small don’t make enough money to have wide releases. If something that’s smaller, but equally as good, takes an hour drive to see at the nearest theater, it simply won’t be as known as other movies. The amount of press a movie gets is very important to how much money it makes, but if it can get plenty of viewership on a streaming service like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime with mostly just word of mouth, this could be great for the streaming services and the consumers alike. After all, the best place to watch these kinds of movies is with your hair up in sweatpants. Netflix has approximately 52 original television shows and films being released and ready to stream next month alone. There has to be some good girl-time content within the bunch. Hopefully we get more great movies from Netflix and other streaming services that young girls can write fanfictions about in the future that will fill all our hearts with warm sappy goodness.

Raised in El Paso, TX, an avid feminist that loves her dog and the written word.
Lover of God, Photography, fashion, and food.