This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

We all have days where we just want to lay in bed and watch Netflix and avoid reality. And that can be perfectly fine, sometimes it is healthy to take some time to yourself and totally relax. Taking those bubble baths, getting your nails done and watching that romantic movie are all forms of self-care, and they should be done regularly in order to emphasize to yourself that it should be a regular responsibility, not just a reward after a long week at school. These following TV shows are some of the most relaxing I have seen, perfect for the days where you want to avoid anything that feels like work.

Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting

Bob Ross is well known for his soothing voice and calm personality and watching him paint can be one of the easiest ways to relax. People also say this show is full of ASMR triggers, caused by the painting and scraping sounds. I have honestly been known to watch an episode or two during those nights where I can’t fall asleep, and before I know it, I’m passed out. I usually can find these episodes on YouTube, and there is even an official Bob Ross channel on Twitch that streams episodes 24/7 on the weekends!

Parks and Recreation

Parks and Recreation has always been an easy show for me to watch and relax to. Considering I have seen the show a hundred times, it’s probably easy for me. But I still consider it an easy to watch show for anyone, because it’s filled with such unique, funny personalities and genuine friendships that you don’t need to worry for any dramatics that other shows often have. I do recommend that first time watchers either skip the first season entirely or power through it, because even I think it’s not the best. But after that, it’s just a complete joy to watch. Parks and Recreation is currently streaming on Peacock. 

The Great British Baking Show

This competitive reality show is so fun to watch, as it’s not filled with hardcore competitiveness at all! Of course, everyone is competing to win, but it’s also filled with so much kindness that it’s easy to forget it’s a competition show. Plus, the food itself is just so mouthwatering at times it’s ridiculous. Episodes of this wholesome show can be watched on Netflix. 

Terrace House

Think Jersey Shore without the drama and pettiness and you get Terrace House. This Japanese reality TV show is so peaceful and filled with extremely kind and civil people. Of course, people living in the house have conflicts, but they are so mild and civil it’s hard to believe it’s a reality show. This is the perfect show for people who are tired of the makeshift, unrealistic drama often depicted in American reality TV, and is great to watch when you just want to lay in bed all day. The Terrace House collection is currently streaming on Netflix. 

Bob’s Burgers

Bob’s Burgers is a perfect comedy for those days where you don’t want drama, and you just want to lay in bed and laugh. This show can be so ridiculous sometimes it’s the perfect form of entertainment. The characters are funny and quirky, and the conflict and storylines aren’t that deep. This is another show I and many other watchers have said helps with anxiety, as it’s a pretty simple comedy show about a genuinely happy family. Bob’s Burgers can be watched on Hulu. 

I hope these show recommendations help you on those days where you just aren’t feeling it. Life can be crazy sometimes, but these shows have helped me, and countless other people de-stress and relax. Don’t forget to consider your mental health when you’re out there living life, and that taking a moment to yourself to watch a nonsensical, sweet show is a valid form of self-care. 

I'm an English Major with an emphasis in Literature, Language & Culture, and I am minoring in Gender and Sexuality Studies. I tweet like i'm twitter famous, but my other interests include: books, cats, plants, Netflix, Disney and being active on my college campus.
Senior at New Mexico State University that's majoring in Psychology with two minors in Spanish and Journalism. I spend too much time shopping, watching TV shows, listening to podcasts about breakups, spoiling my cat Juno, photographing every detail of my life and scrolling through TikTok. Writing is my thing and I hope it makes you laugh, feel understood, or is helpful to you.