Meet Your Prospective 2016-2017 Her Campus CCs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Name: Carlos Trujillo

Age: 21

Hometown: The Beautiful Española Valley of northern New Mexico

Major: Bachelors of Arts- Photojournalism, Minor- Digital Filmmaking

Year: Senior-ish?

What originally inspired you to become a part of Her Campus?

I really liked how there was an opportunity to write for an organization that was student-based. Students often get overlooked and sometimes are talked down like our opinions do not matter. I saw this as a chance to share interesting topics to a wider audience.

What is one of your favorite things you’ve done so far with the organization?

I shook my butt and snapped my fingers for a local charity. When’s the last time anybody could say that?

If you are officially selected as a Campus Correspondent for the next school year, what main plans and goals do you have in mind?

It would be a dream to get more students involved or, at least, interested in the organization. There’s a world of hard work that goes into it every week, and it’d be nice to be better recognized on our campus community. I also think more community events would be fun.  Now that school is drawing for a close I am hoping to have more time to brainstorm!

What advice could you give to those who are interested in becoming a part of Her Campus?

Do it! Contrary to popular belief you do not have to be a journalism major or necessarily someone who “likes to write”. If you’re someone who is a proactive thinker with hobbies and interests that are special, then you would definitely make a great team member. HerCampus is an opportunity to share those passions with an audience! Plus, you’ll get to meet really awesome people who, at least in my experience, inspire you on a weekly basis. Why wouldn’t you want that?

What does being a leader mean to you?

Leadership is a hard word to define because it can take on so many different forms on an individual basis. I guess leadership to me revolves around having a combination of grace and heart. I think it was Conan O’Brien that once said, “If you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.”

Who or what is your biggest source of inspiration for your work and why?

At the risk of sounding selfish, I am going to say me. I am. I as once taught that it is easiest to write about what you know. At the end of the day I am the only person in this world who knows myself best and what I am genuinely interested in. I believe I offer a unique perspective on these topics that I want to share with others. Whether it be the my interests in politics, entertainment, photography, or as a student… I am a 21-year-old from northern New Mexico, so I am going to write from the perspective and interests of a 21-year-old from northern New Mexico.

Now that we are wrapping this up, share a fun fact about yourself!

Yikes! Here’s a few random things. Every June I participate in a religious 100 mile pilgrimage. I am a proud padrino to my nephew and best friend, Ignacio. I once received a phone call by the lead singer of the band Shinedown as a reward for winning a national music video treatment for one of their hit singles. I am the proud parent of a dog named Barky. I am a half-decent photographer…and my favorite band is O

Name: Carolina Bajo Peña

Age: 21 

Hometown: Rodeo, NM

Major: Business Management

Year: Senior

I thought it would be a cool way to get creative with stories and pictures and to be able to share them with other young women. 

The best part so far has been to give out all these awesome gifts through our giveaways and tabling. I like seeing the smile on people’s faces when they win these things, and it helps get the word out about what we do. 

I really want to make our organization something that everyone wants to be a part of whether they want to join the team or simply just read all of our stuff!

I think it’s a great opportunity to discover a new skill! Being part of Her Campus doesn’t mean you can only write. There’s other awesome things you can do like take pictures, plan events, and manage social media. 

What does being a leader mean to you?
Being a leader doesn’t just mean to boss someone around. To me it also means knowing how to listen to your team members and help everyone to be successful. 

I just randomly get ideas! I may be just sitting there daydreaming and something will pop into my head.

I love learning new languages. It’s really one of my favorite hobbies. So far, I only kinow three but I plan to learn at least three more in the next ten years.
Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?