A look at alternative Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

While many people pile their plates with turkey and mashed potatoes and sit down to watch the football game on Thanksgiving day, there is another group of people preparing a meal that they will never eat themselves.

Volunteering on Thanksgiving day is an activity that many across the United States choose to partake in, and in Las Cruces it is no different. Many people take this day to go beyond themselves and help those who are less fortunate.

“It’s a good way for people to see what goes on outside their doors in our community,” said Martin Nanna, director of El Caldito Soup Kitchen. “And by that, I mean it’s a good way for people to interact with our homeless and build comradery.”

Nanna said on Thanksgiving, El Caldito has nearly twice as many volunteers as they do on a regular day. However, he said that much help is needed, and he is happy to have anyone there who wants to volunteer.

According to Nanna, at the soup kitchen, they split people into two shifts: one from about 6 to 10 a.m. and another from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. During that time, volunteers cook the meal, decorate the kitchen, serve the homeless and keep up with cleaning.

Nanna said he has many groups from New Mexico State University that regularly volunteer at the soup kitchen, including groups from engineering, theatrer and nursing. He said he appreciates every person who volunteers on Thanksgiving, but he likes to remind people that El Caldito is open seven days a week, 365 days a year and their doors are open for anyone who needs the help or anyone who wants to help.

“Our volunteers work really hard to produce four- and five-star meals for the homeless in our community,” he said. “Hunger doesn’t take a day off, so we have to be diligent about combatting that.”

One of the students who uses her Thanksgiving to help others is NMSU senior Taylor Vancel. Vancel said her family rarely has a “traditional” Thanksgiving. She said her family is blessed with a good meal every night and she wants others to have the same experience, which is why she has spent many Thanksgivings volunteering at a soup kitchen. She said one year, her family spent all of Thanksgiving week working with an orphanage in Mexico.

“It’s such a simple act of kindness,” she said. “I am truly given so much every single day, and I want to help others feel loved.”

For those students who are looking for a more adventurous volunteering experience, there is also the opportunity to volunteer abroad. Programs like Aggies Go Global assist students in finding places all across the world where they can exert their philanthropic ability.

“We are also looking at possible faculty-led programs at that time,” said Angelina Palumbo, faculty with the NMSU Office of Education Abroad. “We do have spring break study abroad, but it is harder for people to leave family during Thanksgiving.”

Nanna said sometimes people are hesitant to volunteer because they don’t know what to expect, but the hardest part is getting started and opening that door. 

“(Volunteering) is like a vacuum,” he said. “Once you come you are going to get sucked in, but in a good way.”

Hi there! My name is Bethany, and I'm an avid writer and lover of travel. I'm a free spirit who was born and raised in Las Cruces, NM--the same city where I currently attend New Mexico State University. I will graduate from NMSU in May, and I'm looking forward to taking on the rest of my life.
Ada Ciuca is a Journalism and Mass Communications student emphasizing in print and PR at New Mexico State University. In a perfect world, she will get to write informative articles, interview the world's most interesting people and work in fashion PR for the rest of her life. While she's at it, she'll also travel the world and learn as many languages as humanly possible. Oh, and reach her ultimate goal of shaking hands with Kevin Spacey and Anderson Cooper.