Lets be Thankful there’s Something to be Thankful About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time to recall all the wonderful things that have in our lives. What are you thankful for? If you can’t seem to think of anything I’ll be glad to help. Although 2017 has been a rough year for many, and definitely a year of transition, let us not forget all the wonderful things that it has brought as well. In 2017 women’s rights have been advocated for more than ever. 2017 saw the first Women’s March, a movement to celebrate and advocate for women’s rights. With the election of the still new president, Donald Trump more women than ever have banded together to stand up for equal rights amongst all genders. This isn’t only happening in the United States but among numerous countries as well. Some Middle Eastern countries have now allowed women to obtain driver’s licenses so they can now drive cars. This is a huge step forward for gender equality!

Something else to focus on? We have made serious strides toward a safer and cleaner environment. We now have over 2,000 agencies working for cleaner oceans! Ocean clean-up has become of the main priorities amongst millennials and with climate change being more talked about than ever, people all over the world have started movements to reduce the amount of trash in the world’s oceans. By literally just typing “ocean restoration” into your browser you can pull up hundreds of links that will direct you to websites that can help you get involved.

Still not enough? Child rape and human trafficking has now been put to a drastic halt as over 5,000 human traffickers were recently arrested and India has now banned sex with a child bride and constituted it as rape. India has never had a law like this before and it a huge step forward to end child rape and slavery. The recent arrest of a human trafficking circle has now freed over thirteen children and women. This was the largest human trafficking bust in the western region of the country.

One last thing. Efforts to help with natural disaster. Unfortunately 2017 has seen all too many natural disasters, from hurricanes to earthquakes, to wildfires. Although the affects have been nothing less than devastating people have banned together all over the world to help with relief efforts. When Harvey struck, thousands of American’s were sending clothes and food to victims and the city of Houston was flooded with volunteers who were helping save people and animals alike. Puerto Rico has received thousands of donations in order to help those without electricity or running water. Volunteer firefighters were spending weeks away from their families in order to help contain and put out the deadly wildfires in California and Montana.

It may seem that 2017 was the year of complete bad luck, some even went so far as saying this was the true ending of the world. But, no matter how much it may seem the world around us is falling apart, there is good all around you. It may seem that there is nothing but hate surrounding us but there is love fighting all the bad there is. Just be sure you are a part of the love. People are still good and there is still plenty to be thankful for this year as it all comes to an end. For every bad thing there is something equally as good, it’s just hard to see when everyone only focuses on the bad.